Linking Shatterstone & Mastermind Affair

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
      I never seem to be able to just use a scenario as written. My apologies to the authors.

      Mild spoilers bellow.

      I think Operation Shatterstone is pretty cool. I'm thinking of using it as the campaign opener. I don't think I will use the shared origin option however it could easily be used as the global crisis that brings the team together.

      Here is the twist I'm thinking of adding.

      I have trouble with the notion that the government asks the heroes to replace the astronauts on the grounds that the rigors of space travel. It might work for Superman or Wonder Woman style characters, not so much for Green Arrow or Black Canary type characters and I expect I will have a bit of both.

      So let's assume the Icarus mission goes ahead with regular NPC astronauts. Let's assume it also ended in an unexplained disaster. It is of course the Mantids who are attacking the ship but it happens so fast ground control is left in the dark. The last message from the mission commander something like "My God, it's full of -".

      Let's also assume back on Earth locked in a maximum security penitentiary Professor Hominid is tracking the situation (prison is hardly an obstacle for him). He knows about the Mantids, he has faced them before, thousands of years ago. Obviously he has an interest in saving the world too, after all that is where all his stuff is and living through the equivalent of nuclear winter is very tedious, he should know, he has done it before. But that doesn't mean he isn't going to try an play this to his advantage.

      Before the Icarus mission launched he sends a cryptic letter to the President of the USA predicting exactly when Icarus mission would fail, claiming he he has knowledge about the asteroid and how to get passed it's defences but will only share this on two conditions:

      1. A full presidential pardon.
      2. He get's to choose the crew of the next mission.

      The crew of the next mission is of course the heroes. According to his predictions the player character have the right combination of skills to succeed and of course if one or more should not return, that's a win too.

      With Hominid now a free man, or free Neanderthal if you prefer, and having hopefully made a strong impression on the player the stage is nicely set of The Mastermind Affair adventure.

      There are a still a few bits I need to work out but that's the general idea.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9 4:33 PM
        I ran Operation Shatterstone tonight as the opening of a new campaign. I used the variant start to the adventure listed below with the failed first Icarus mission and Professor Hominid stepping in. I think it worked out very well.
        It made for a spectacular, high stake campaign start. And now with Professor Hominid fully established as an NPC, when we get round to it, the Mastermind Affair adventure will have much more impact.

        Also next session I going to get the guys to create their HQ as per Team Up rules. That too will help with the Mastermind Affair.