RE: [icons-rpg] RE: Improbable Tales combined

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
      I did some thinking, here's the broad timeline of events I cam up with that should cover a good few sessions and tie up these two adventures.

      Mild spoilers below.

      For the past 70 years occultists Thule Society have been plotting and waiting for a chance to start a new Reich, the Dead Reich.

      The chance comes when Dr Ahkbar (the Serpent Sphinx) releases the spirit of Sutekmos and is promptly possess by it.

      Through the use of a magic ritual, Serpent Sphinx can resurrect old aides, but he needs suitable hosts for them. He can only enact the ritual once a week, and he needs other special ingredients he must steal fresh, so the players have a number of chances to stop him...but every time they fail, the Serpent Sphinx has one more powerful ally.
      (you might recognise this John - it's one of yours!).

      Eventually (one would think) Serpent Sphinx is defeated and jailed.

      Thule Society cultists sense that the spirit Sutekmos has been released summon and bind it to bring Dr Natch back to life, leaving the unworthy Dr Ahkbar behind.

      With Dr Natch now in charge the Dead Reich's plans gain momentum. His first goal is to secure the Lazarus  Serum to stabilise his resurrection. He knows the ritual can't contain Sutekmos forever. Cue the Aquazombies adventure.

      Meanwhile Ahkbar who, though no longer possessed is still psychically linked with Sutekmos and very much in jail, has nightmares and premonitions of something terrible that about to happen in Moscow which, after much instance, he is allowed to share with the heroes. This provides the hook to Vampires on the Red square.

      The real purpose of the attack on Red Square is to recover Russia’s equivalent of the Lazarus Serum hidden in Lenin’s Tomb. If Dr Natch was foiled in the previous adventure, it is obvious why he would want to try again to get the Lazarus Serum. If he succeeded the first, maybe a second dose will make him even more powerful.

      An accident with the Lazarus Serum in Lenin’s Tomb maybe explain what brings Lenin zombie back.  I’ve got some new players in the game I don’t know how much gonzo they can take. I think giant zombie Lenin is genius, but they may not see it the same way, I’ll have to play it by ear.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: jhmcmullen@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 05:30:52 -0700
      Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] RE: Improbable Tales combined

      Actually, I'd go the other way: Dr. Nacht/Dr. Night is a villain name used by a previous avatar of the Dark Pharoah. If it's nice to have them as separate people, you can have a kind of possession happening: maybe Dr. Night is trying to get back his lord and rider as a secondary goal. (Actually, there's something sort of tragic there: having tasted actual power as a vessel for Other Things, Dr. Night is constantly trying to regain that, from scheme after scheme, offering himself up for possession...which means that he is often "taken" by possessing entities, who just as often throw him back because he's been spoiled for their needs.) Anyway, any time that the heroes capture the Dark Pharoah, it turns out that it's just some poor cultist schmoe (or someone who read the wrong book aloud), possessed by the spirit of Nyarlathotep, who has gone on to a new host.

      Then you can string together Aquazombies, Vampires, and The Other Side.  I'd throw the Dunwich adventure into the middle, probably between Vampires and The Other Side, to indicate that The Stars Are Right (which was what actually defeated Dr. Night in the 1940s). There might also be an adventure (written by you) where the Necromancer succumbs to the blandishments of Nyarlathotep (or accepts Azathoth as necessary to defeat Nyarlathotep, and reasons that Az, being mad, won't notice earth particularly, while certain other Elder Beings would *cough*Cthulhu*cough*Hastur*cough*.

      And I'd totally rip off the scene from the book Southern Gods: the one that takes place in Ruby's at about the halfway point, and has Hastur killing a bunch of people and then raising them. Excellent fodder if you have a Trained character who needs a solo scene or two Trained characters who need to face a horde of ravening undead.

      Some kitbashing still required, though.

      From: gsoylent@...
      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Improbable Tales combined
      Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 18:31:11 +0100

      Has anyone tried linking up 'Aquazombies of the Kriegmarine' and 'Vampires of the Red Square' into a single story arc?  Maybe replacing The Dark Pharaoh with Dr Natch to give it more continuity?

      Just thinking out loud here.

        From: gsoylent@...
        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 18:31:11 +0100

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2013
          Hah! I knew there was something there! :-)

          I don't suppose you care to share what the original plan was? Not that I would feel compelled to stick to the "official version". I never do. I'm just curious.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          From: gsoylent@...
          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 18:31:11 +0100