Re: Great Power Point Buy - Extras and Limitations

  • the_bronze_rat
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2013
      Mind shield has burst as an extra too, which I rather think is a typo, that it does have some interesting possibilities.

      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "bigassgeek" <jimroof@...> wrote:

      > I understand that when buying an Extra that is effectively another power, you simply buy it as you would any other power, paying one point per level. But what about Extras that expand the base power but aren't powers in and of themselves? How does one pay for the Burst or Contagious extra? It seems they shouldn't be as expensive as a whole new power.
      >
      > Also, how would you rule Limitations work?

    • stevekenson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
        On Aug 27, 2013, at 7:36 AM, icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        I understand that when buying an Extra that is effectively another power, you simply buy it as you would any other power, paying one point per level. But what about Extras that expand the base power but aren't powers in and of themselves?

        Same thing: 1 point per level of the base power.

        How does one pay for the Burst or Contagious extra? It seems they shouldn't be as expensive as a whole new power.

        Fair enough, although in some cases this is dealt with by adding the Extra Only limitation, meaning that a Burst Blast can cost the same as a regular Blast, if it is only usable as a Burst. Otherwise it is adding on an extra power, since the character can switch between Blast and Burst Blast at will.

        If you feel those extras are took expensive, you can always assign them their own separate costs (as many point-based games do), so long as you're willing to track them.

        Also, how would you rule Limitations work?

        The same as in Great Power, with the addition that a limit can also reduce the power's cost by 1 point per level, down to a minimum of 1 point per level, meaning you could add a "free" extra to the power. Presumably this extra would count against starting Determination, unless you choose to combine the point-cost reduction with the Determination reduction benefits of a limit.

        You can even allow the option of reducing a 1 point per level power to 1 point per 2 levels (then 1 per 3, etc.), if you're willing to deal with the extra complexity of fractional costs.
        _____
        Steve Kenson
        stevekenson@...
        www.stevekenson.com