Exploratory posts - new online campaign

  • the_bronze_rat
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25, 2013
      Greetings all,

      This is a preliminary post looking at what interest there might be in a bi-weekly campaign online. Time would be Sunday Eastern Time, 5 to 9pm every other week, or *maybe* tues 6 to 10pm Eastern time.

      45 point heroes.

      Some non campaign specific questions

      Its been some time since I did an online game. At the time we did Skype audio, no video and dice rolls were honor system. Would it be worthwhile to use Roll20? It looks interesting, but more oriented toward tactical/map heavy type games.

      I'm not that familiar with google hangouts, but it looks like a wonderful way to do the "core stuff". How does it compare to Roll20?
      http://community.wizards.com/dead-gamers-society/blog/2013/06/08/google_for_tabletop_rpgs

      Or Skype + a privately hosted wiki?

      Or something else all together.

      Fairly specific questions

      Teen superheroes or adults? Not hero high type teen, but everyones a teen, normal school and secret ID's etc.

      Universe style play seems tailor made for this type of setup. Even if I'm the GM virtually all of the time (though I sure wouldn't mind playing some) this seems to be an excellent way of doing things. Would you want to do Universe style play? There will be an intelligent gorilla society, bigger, brighter, faster. Sorry, I've got to have my apes.

      How about core city creation? I can tell you the main city home will be New Destiny, its where Miami is in the real world, and the terrain is slightly different (modified by an old elemental superteam a few decades back). Past that, would you want to follow the city rules in Stark city?

      Any other thoughts or ideas, suggestions, etc?
    • the_bronze_rat
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2013
        Oh yeah, and where would be a good place to post about this, to scare up some additional players?

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "the_bronze_rat" <rlyon@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > This is a preliminary post looking at what interest there might be in a bi-weekly campaign online. Time would be Sunday Eastern Time, 5 to 9pm every other week, or *maybe* tues 6 to 10pm Eastern time.
        >
        > 45 point heroes.
        >
        > Some non campaign specific questions
        >
        > Its been some time since I did an online game. At the time we did Skype audio, no video and dice rolls were honor system. Would it be worthwhile to use Roll20? It looks interesting, but more oriented toward tactical/map heavy type games.
        >
        > I'm not that familiar with google hangouts, but it looks like a wonderful way to do the "core stuff". How does it compare to Roll20?
        > http://community.wizards.com/dead-gamers-society/blog/2013/06/08/google_for_tabletop_rpgs
        >
        > Or Skype + a privately hosted wiki?
        >
        > Or something else all together.
        >
        > Fairly specific questions
        >
        > Teen superheroes or adults? Not hero high type teen, but everyones a teen, normal school and secret ID's etc.
        >
        > Universe style play seems tailor made for this type of setup. Even if I'm the GM virtually all of the time (though I sure wouldn't mind playing some) this seems to be an excellent way of doing things. Would you want to do Universe style play? There will be an intelligent gorilla society, bigger, brighter, faster. Sorry, I've got to have my apes.
        >
        > How about core city creation? I can tell you the main city home will be New Destiny, its where Miami is in the real world, and the terrain is slightly different (modified by an old elemental superteam a few decades back). Past that, would you want to follow the city rules in Stark city?
        >
        > Any other thoughts or ideas, suggestions, etc?

      • bigassgeek
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 26, 2013
          I'm very interested in playing! I'm open to either teen or adult heroes. I don't own Team-Up or Stark City, so I can't comment on the universe/city creation rules, but they sound interesting and I'd like to give them a whirl.

          I wouldn't mind giving Roll20 a spin, though I haven't used it before, but I'd be willing to use any play forum the group decides on.

          I'm willing to pick up the GM reins after the first game or two, as well. I'm currently running a PbP game on RPG.Net.

          45 points will put us on the Ant-Man/Wasp end of the Avengers scale - generally speaking - but that's fine with me. It might work especially well for a teen game.

          Any questions for me?

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 26, 2013
            No questions for you just yet. Give me a day or two to work out a few more details. I see the potential start date as two weeks away, subject to possibility of change. BUT, you raise an interesting point, what do people see point totals as equalling?

            Here we have

            45 points = ant man/wasp

            75 points = Ion guard member

            What is in between?

            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "bigassgeek" <jimroof@...> wrote:

            > I'm very interested in playing! I'm open to either teen or adult heroes. I don't own Team-Up or Stark City, so I can't comment on the universe/city creation rules, but they sound interesting and I'd like to give them a whirl.
            >
            > I wouldn't mind giving Roll20 a spin, though I haven't used it before, but I'd be willing to use any play forum the group decides on.
            >
            > I'm willing to pick up the GM reins after the first game or two, as well. I'm currently running a PbP game on RPG.Net.
            >
            > 45 points will put us on the Ant-Man/Wasp end of the Avengers scale - generally speaking - but that's fine with me. It might work especially well for a teen game.
            >
            > Any questions for me?
            >

            > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "the_bronze_rat" <rlyon@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings all,
            > >
            > > This is a preliminary post looking at what interest there might be in a bi-weekly campaign online. Time would be Sunday Eastern Time, 5 to 9pm every other week, or *maybe* tues 6 to 10pm Eastern time.

          • Jack Saw
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 26, 2013
              Unseen Servant is a very good play by post forum. You could recruit & play there also. It has a dice roller system too.

              ------------------------------
              On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 8:41 AM PDT the_bronze_rat wrote:

              >No questions for you just yet. Give me a day or two to work out a few more details. I see the potential start date as two weeks away, subject to possibility of change. BUT, you raise an interesting point, what do people see point totals as equalling?
              >
              >Here we have
              >
              >45 points = ant man/wasp
              >
              >75 points = Ion guard member
              >
              >What is in between?
              >
              >--- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "bigassgeek" <jimroof@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I'm very interested in playing! I'm open to either teen or adult heroes. I don't own Team-Up or Stark City, so I can't comment on the universe/city creation rules, but they sound interesting and I'd like to give them a whirl.
              >>
              >> I wouldn't mind giving Roll20 a spin, though I haven't used it before, but I'd be willing to use any play forum the group decides on.
              >>
              >> I'm willing to pick up the GM reins after the first game or two, as well. I'm currently running a PbP game on RPG.Net.
              >>
              >> 45 points will put us on the Ant-Man/Wasp end of the Avengers scale - generally speaking - but that's fine with me. It might work especially well for a teen game.
              >>
              >> Any questions for me?
              >>

              >> --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "the_bronze_rat" <rlyon@> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Greetings all,
              >> >
              >> > This is a preliminary post looking at what interest there might be in a bi-weekly campaign online. Time would be Sunday Eastern Time, 5 to 9pm every other week, or *maybe* tues 6 to 10pm Eastern time.

            • Michael Mendoza
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 26, 2013
                I'm interested!

                I'm not yet versed in online gaming. I don't even have a webcam. But I'll get one for a chance to play ICONS!

                I'm more interested in adult superheroes than teen heroes in a normal high school setting.

                I'm up for universal style play and cooperative city creation a la Stark City.

                --
                Michael Mendoza
                mmdozer@...
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 26, 2013
                  I've been scanning the write-ups of DC Heroes here in the Files section of the site, comparing point totals. Now, they're not "official" by any means, but they look like fairly good conversions. I haven't reached any conclusions myself, but you might want to take a look at them and add up some of their point totals, just to get a ballpark idea what different point totals will buy you.

                  > 45 points = ant man/wasp
                  >
                  > 75 points = Ion guard member
                  >
                  > What is in between?
                • Gaston Gosselin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
                    I would be interested in this as well. Done quite a few games via Google+ Hangouts, and have enjoyed them, using a variety of systems.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
                      Update.

                      Before Saturday, I'm going to play with google+ and roll20. I'm going on the assumption that I'll be using those. This will mostly be a live play session, bi-weekly basis. This weekend I'll start to "advertise" on a couple of sites. Tentatively first meeting will be Sunday the 8th, mostly to work up characters and some collaborative world notes.

                      I'm going with teen superheroes unless everyone else really hates the idea.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
                        That all sounds good to me! I'm fine with playing teen heroes, and I'm free Sundays!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 28, 2013
                          I can do a session on 9/8. I'll start thinking of ideas for teen supers.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 1, 2013

                            Hmm, this will in essence be a double post. I didn't mean for that to happen, but had a brain fart. On the other hand, I don't want the 3 of who have shown interest here to miss the link.

                            https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/193072/cliques-and-classes