Re: [icons-rpg] Dimensional Travel Question

  • Gaston Gosselin
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2013
      Well, firstly, at level 6 he would still need to roll the power test per Rules As Written (in the main ICONS book), which states that it would normally be a difficulty of 3 to dimension hop. A failure means you don’t go anywhere, and trying to reach that dimension requires determined effort. A moderate success means you arrive at the destination dimension stunned and must spend the next panel recovering (taking no actions that page). A major or better success means you reach the dimension with no problems.

      So right off the bat, I would say to teleport with someone else would raise that difficulty number, with a failure being a bit more dramatic, and a moderate success causing a problem in that the hero may get jumped by the villain he's trying to travel with.

      however, Great Power clarifies this in that movement between known dimensions is free, you only have to make a test to visit new dimensions. But, GP also introduces the "Passengers" extra. So this makes it easy, to do this regularly you have to have this extra (yes, I know, it's not listed as a Standard extra in the book, but you're the GM). To do it otherwise is a Stunt requiring dice rolling and determination spending.

      That's how I would handle it.

      And if this becomes a problem where he's sending all the baddies to the same dimension and short circuiting your fights. Well, who says the baddies aren't going to learn where he typically appears in the new dimension and thus wait to ambush him the next time he comes in. Voila, new encounter, and this time the hero may not be able to get out before someone bashes him over the head.

      -gus

      On Aug 20, 2013, at 7:46 AM, "Mik" <mikburns@...> wrote:

      Hey guys, new to the list. Just ran our first ICONS game last week (random characters and the Day of the Swarm quick adventure) and everyone had a blast. I could've been more prepared with the rules, but there's always next time.

      I've tried my due diligence to search through FAQs and the like but couldn't find an answer to my dimensional travel question. Basically a fallen angel type character with Dimensional Travel (6) tackled the bad guy, teleported him to the equivalent of purgatory, then left the bad guy there and teleported back to the rest of the team.

      The book doesn't say anything about transporting people, willing or otherwise. It was getting late, so I let it ride and figured the antagonist can always surface later and become a recurring enemy of the group. Seems though this could be a one-trick pony every time the group faces any kind of bad guy and get out of hand.

      Judgement call? Flat out wouldn't work that way? Justify it not happening by saying the power level is too low?

      Thanks everyone!

    • Cameron Mount

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2013
          Cameron, that's the ticket, there should be a lot more tests taking place before he just pops away to purgatory and back. I'll delve into the rules earnestly and have a little sidebar setup just for such a future occasion.

          Gus, excellent info all around, and I really like the ambush idea. Especially if he left baddie #1 there, he's had a lot of time to recruit others and set up a proper surprise welcome. Sounds like I need Great Power as well.

          Thanks guys! After our game that night, two of our five players bought rulebooks on the spot, with another intending to at payday. It looks like we'll have a longterm game on our hands, so I'll be checking in here often. Thanks again.

          -mik

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2013
            I won't weigh in on the Dimensional Travel issue (as it looks like that has been answered satisfactorily) but I'm glad to hear you had fun with Day of the Swarm. I had a good time writing that one.

            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Mik" <mikburns@...> wrote:

            > Hey guys, new to the list. Just ran our first ICONS game last week (random characters and the Day of the Swarm quick adventure) and everyone had a blast. I could've been more prepared with the rules, but there's always next time.
            >
            > I've tried my due diligence to search through FAQs and the like but couldn't find an answer to my dimensional travel question. Basically a fallen angel type character with Dimensional Travel (6) tackled the bad guy, teleported him to the equivalent of purgatory, then left the bad guy there and teleported back to the rest of the team.
            >
            > The book doesn't say anything about transporting people, willing or otherwise. It was getting late, so I let it ride and figured the antagonist can always surface later and become a recurring enemy of the group. Seems though this could be a one-trick pony every time the group faces any kind of bad guy and get out of hand.
            >
            > Judgement call? Flat out wouldn't work that way? Justify it not happening by saying the power level is too low?
            >
            > Thanks everyone!

          • Mik
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2013
              Yeah, it was a good starting point and helped set the stage as to where the heroes began the campaign. Thanks to this Dimensional Travel fiasco, it looks like Insector might be a recurring villain too. Primal power is up next.

              -mik