Can villains dodge?

  • bigassgeek
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
      The core rules don't specify whether NPC's can use an Acrobatics Specialty bonus when being attacked, or whether they strictly use Prowess or Coordination. How do you rule it?
    • Icosahedrophilia
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
        The question in the subject line and the question in the text of the e-mail can be treated as two slightly different questions.

        Per RAW, Dodge is a reaction that involves rolling dice, so only PCs would ever use the Dodge reaction as such (unless you are using the “GM rolls dice” variant from Team-Up, which requires you to tweak the Dodge mechanic anyway).

        However, in my mind there’s no point in a villain having the Acrobatics specialty if it doesn’t mean anything. Therefore, as an ICONS GM I would apply the Acrobatics specialty as a kind of passive modifier to the villain’s Coordination.

        That’s how I’d roll. Oh, wait. I wouldn’t roll, because I’m the GM. So that‘s how I’d rule it, personally.

        On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:08 PM, bigassgeek <jimroof@...> wrote:

        The core rules don't specify whether NPC's can use an Acrobatics Specialty bonus when being attacked, or whether they strictly use Prowess or Coordination. How do you rule it?

        Chris Heard
        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
        http://drchris.me/d20

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
          If it helps, you can think about it in terms of opposeds roll in which the GM always somehow rolls "0" and ties go to the players.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: d20@...
          Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:30:28 -0700
          Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Can villains dodge?

          The question in the subject line and the question in the text of the e-mail can be treated as two slightly different questions.

          Per RAW, Dodge is a reaction that involves rolling dice, so only PCs would ever use the Dodge reaction as such (unless you are using the “GM rolls dice” variant from Team-Up, which requires you to tweak the Dodge mechanic anyway).

          However, in my mind there’s no point in a villain having the Acrobatics specialty if it doesn’t mean anything. Therefore, as an ICONS GM I would apply the Acrobatics specialty as a kind of passive modifier to the villain’s Coordination.

          That’s how I’d roll. Oh, wait. I wouldn’t roll, because I’m the GM. So that‘s how I’d rule it, personally.

          On Aug 19, 2013, at 4:08 PM, bigassgeek <jimroof@...> wrote:

          The core rules don't specify whether NPC's can use an Acrobatics Specialty bonus when being attacked, or whether they strictly use Prowess or Coordination. How do you rule it?

          Chris Heard
          Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
          http://drchris.me/d20
          ><> ב״ה

        • bigassgeek
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
            Would you allow villains to use Coordination instead of Prowess to defend against a hero's melee attack? The rules seem to allow Dodge (a Coordination based defense) to be used against ANY attack.

            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:

            > However, in my mind there’s no point in a villain having the Acrobatics specialty if it doesn’t mean anything. Therefore, as an ICONS GM I would apply the Acrobatics specialty as a kind of passive modifier to the villain’s Coordination.

            > ><> ×`×´×"

          • Chris Tavares
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013

              Sure, why not? It’s the same as for heroes – you can evade if you want / are better at it (and it’s a melee attack) or dodge otherwise.

              The only difference is the target number for the hero’s attack roll.

              -Chris

              Would you allow villains to use Coordination instead of Prowess to defend against a hero's melee attack? The rules seem to allow Dodge (a Coordination based defense) to be used against ANY attack.

              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:

              > However, in my mind there’s no point in a villain having the Acrobatics specialty if it doesn’t mean anything. Therefore, as an ICONS GM I would apply the Acrobatics specialty as a kind of passive modifier to the villain’s Coordination.

              _,___

            • Icosahedrophilia
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
                If the villain is dodging, sure.

                On Aug 19, 2013, at 5:23 PM, "bigassgeek" <jimroof@...> wrote:

                Would you allow villains to use Coordination instead of Prowess to defend against a hero's melee attack? The rules seem to allow Dodge (a Coordination based defense) to be used against ANY attack.

                Chris Heard
                Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                http://drchris.me/d20
                ><> ב״ה

              • Steve Kenson
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
                  On Aug 20, 2013, at 12:34 PM, icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  > However, in my mind there’s no point in a villain having the Acrobatics specialty if it doesn’t mean anything. Therefore, as an ICONS GM I would apply the Acrobatics specialty as a kind of passive modifier to the villain’s Coordination

                  Just as you're intended to, for what it's worth. Villains don't make dodge tests, but they do "dodge" in that the players make attack tests, which may result in negative modifiers, and can represent a poor shot on the hero's part, or a more effective defense on the target's part.
                  ______
                  Steve Kenson
                  stevekenson@...