RE: [icons-rpg] Operation Shatterstone

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2013
      No.  All-Star is in the illustrations as a placeholder for the player characters but does not actually appear in the adventure.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: fabfranco@...
      Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 19:34:49 -0300
      Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Operation Shatterstone

      Is All-Star stated there too?

      2013/7/7 Soylent Green <gsoylent@...>

      Today I finally managed to read through Operation Shatterstone, the lasted ICONS adventure by Ad Infinitum. It’s a pretty epic adventure best suited for a Fantastic Four or Avengers level super-team.

      Spoilers below.

      In a nutshell the scenario starts with a Deep Impact style asteroid heading for Earth that turns out to be just a precursor to an alien invasion. As such the first half of the adventure plays like a disaster scenario and is handled in a similar fashion to the snowstorm in Whiteout. As a GM I can see myself struggling with this section of the adventure. The author provide a lot of suggestions on what can happen during this phase but I’m just not very good at running natural disaster sequences and I can see that in the light of a threat of apocalyptic proportions my players may not be entirely satisfied with saving a few civilians to save here and there.

      The adventure comes to life when it is revealed the asteroid was aimed at the Earth and in particular in the section set on the alien mothership. Rather than providing a map, the adventure uses the success pyramid and a set of random encounters. Okay, put this way it may sound a little underwhelming but I find it a really interesting way of abstracting a massive spaceship and the sort of technique that could be used in all sorts of situations. The encounter can also be used as inspiration if you ever need a set of traps and other obstacles, though I the difficulties seem to be to be a bit high (the actually goes of the entire adventure). Of course the proof is in the playing.

      The other thing to highlight about Operation Shatterstone is that you get a whole lot of stats for the aliens and their alien gear that can and should be resued.  In fact the entire pdf is packed with content.