Re: [icons-rpg] Hero Pack 4

  • Fabrício César Franco
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
      Chris,

      Living outside US hinders me from backing financially most of the books. This also hinders me from being cogitated to help somehow with proofreading or copy-editing or anything similar. But I would love to, if I had the chance. Even more so because I love the game. But love is not enough, I know, it's business and all the things it involves. I just hoped to find "official characters" depicted using the Great Power rules, which was a bit frustrating not finding so. But I do accept and understand all the reasons you gave, I do think the two factors (small budgets and tight schedules) prevent the best quality.

      Thank you for replying!

      Fabrício Franco
    • alienmastermind
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
        In every respect, you're correct. It was the fact that I had so much art to complete for Great Power, I kind of hoped that folks contributing would police their grammar and such. Sometimes this wasn't doable. In any case, once Hero Pack 5 is finished, I'll be doing a correction fest to Hero Pack 4. Luckily, I have more than enough time to make sure Hero Pack 5 is correct before it leaves the gate.

        Also, please keep an eye on the photos folder! Hero Pack 5 art will be getting previewed there. :D

        Dan

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > There are several factors that probably contributed to this phenomenon. In no particular order, they potentially include but are not limited to:
        >
        > (1) Hero Pack 4 actually came out before Great Power was finalized, so Hero Pack 4 contributors who used Great Power actually used a prepublication “playtest version” of Great Power.
        >
        > (2) Whether any given contributor used the playtest version of Great Power or the older ICONS rules (perhaps via the ICONS Character Folio) seems to be up to the individual contributor. Dan doesn’t seem to have done (or to have had someone else do) any “validation” of the math, the power sets, etc. Thus Ruadàn, for example, seems to be built using the older rules, while Rhema, two entries before Ruadàn, was definitely built using the Great Power playtest.
        >
        > (3) For the origin stories, I think Dan basically copied and pasted whatever the contributors sent him. This explains why, for example, Rhema’s origin story uses quotation marks, apostrophes, and em dashes, while Ruadàn’s, two entries later, uses inch marks, foot marks, and double hyphens. Nobody made any effort to make the grammar and typography consistent, except for using the same typeface throughout. This may also be true for the stat blocks, or parts of the stat blocks, for contributors who sent in ICF files instead of text files.
        >
        > (4) In some cases, Dan seems to have copied-and-pasted or duplicated pages and then edited the information on the cloned page. This is why, in the initial backers’ version of Hero Pack 4, several heroes near the end of the book had the same “real name.” Sometimes this editing introduced errors that weren’t present in the backers’ contributions. (I happen to be quite sureâ€"because I have the original attachment on the screen in front of me right nowâ€"that the misspelling of “Commands” as “Commads” occurred sometime after I sent Rhema to Dan.)
        >
        > (5) Once Dan received the backers’ contributions, I don’t think he had any additional help on the project. I’m specifically thinking about help with proofreading and copy-editing. Many small presses depend on the authors/contributors to get it right the first time. I assume this more a matter of budget than of not caring, although I have received blowback from some publishers when, in my reviews on DriveThruRPG, I point out (and withhold stars due to) errors and inconsistencies in grammar, syntax, readability, layout, and other matters of “presentation.” I can hardly count the number of times my reviews have written something like this: “I would give this product one more star, if it didn’t have so many grammatical/typographical errors.” Small budgets and tight schedules can noticeably impede quality.

      • Icosahedrophilia
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
          Watching it like a hawk. Or an eagle. Or a Cherub. ;-)

          On Jul 4, 2013, at 5:20 PM, "alienmastermind" <alienmastermind@...> wrote:

          Also, please keep an eye on the photos folder! Hero Pack 5 art will be getting previewed there. :D

          Chris Heard
          Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
          http://drchris.me/d20
          ><> ב״ה

        • alienmastermind
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
            The ICONICS in the back of Hero Pack 4 are ALL per Steve Kenson's write ups, so I'm fairly sure they're correct. :D

            Dan