Re: [icons-rpg] Confused about Gadgets

  • Cameron Mount
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2013
      The reason I say it's a judgment call is that one person could make an argument that an iPhone could duplicate Super-Sense Communication or that a pen-light could duplicate a Light Control, depending on the player or the gadget.

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...> wrote:
      In the original ICONS, gadgets was a subset of Wizardry. I don't remember anything about number of gadgets per power level, and don't see it in the Wizardry section. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find anything like that, but I don't recall that as being in the actual book itself.

      As for penlights and what-not, I think it's a judgment call. The rule seems to indicate that if you are pulling out a gadget that duplicates another power, that you should roll a test, spend a page preparing, and that you'd have the gadget.

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM, A M George <amg503@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      Trying to get my head around Great Powers gadgetry power.
      In the original Icons there was a comment that a gadgeteer could have number of powers equal to his power level that seems to have disappeared in Great Powers.

      Anyhow, the character in question has gadgets 5 defined as a utility belt which brings up a few questions.

      Is there any limit to the number of active gadgets before the player has to start saying he's run out of a particular power?

      Can a character start a chapter with Gadgets pre-set (ie the traditional swing-line and Infra Red goggles) that he'd have a reasonable explanation to have handy before anything happens?

      Should normal over-the-counter devices (for example a penlight flashlight or an iPhone with its normal functionality) be considered part of the Gadget pool or not?

      Love to hear others thoughts on how it all works