Re: [icons-rpg] Confused about Gadgets

  • +1 Sword
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2013
      My thought the Gadgets power is this:
      You can use create a stunt off of any power by spending a point of determination and making a roll. With the gadgets power you can trade in the Determination requirement in exchange for a page of preparation... unless you take the instant extra of course. That page can represent configuration or just pulling it out of your utility belt.

      As far as I can tell there is no limit on the number of gadgets you can pull out but you do actually have to do the work of pulling them out in game. Unless you have the arsenal extra which represents the gadgets you always have with you. If I had a player who was abusing the limits on number of gadgets, I might impose a limit equal to their intellect.

      For 'normal' gadgets, I'd probably just hand wave it as long as it was covered by an aspect. Something like "Always has the right tool for the job." would be especially handy. Maybe they'd have to spend a determination point if it was an especially large retcon to have that ability.

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM, A M George <amg503@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      Trying to get my head around Great Powers gadgetry power.
      In the original Icons there was a comment that a gadgeteer could have number of powers equal to his power level that seems to have disappeared in Great Powers.

      Anyhow, the character in question has gadgets 5 defined as a utility belt which brings up a few questions.

      Is there any limit to the number of active gadgets before the player has to start saying he's run out of a particular power?

      Can a character start a chapter with Gadgets pre-set (ie the traditional swing-line and Infra Red goggles) that he'd have a reasonable explanation to have handy before anything happens?

      Should normal over-the-counter devices (for example a penlight flashlight or an iPhone with its normal functionality) be considered part of the Gadget pool or not?

      Love to hear others thoughts on how it all works

    • Cameron Mount