Supersenses

  • Fabrício César Franco
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
      Dear all,

      I was reading Supersenses again, and a doubt sprouted. How the enhanced and extended levels are computed? Should I roll again to see how much enhanced and extended the senses are or simply stay put with the first values the dice gave me? E.g. I roll Supersenses 5; I decide to have Penetration Vision, Microscopic Vision, Infravision, Enhanced Hearing and Extended Vision. Can I roll again for higher levels for enhanced and extended senses?

      Fabrício Franco

    • Cameron Mount

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
          Thanks, Cameron. And how to depict characters like Superman, Supergirl, M'Onel and Ultra-Boy?

        • Bill Olander
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
            As I understand it, Superman would have something like this:

            Super-Senses 6 (Additional:Penetrating Vision[Lead], Additional:Microscopic Vision, Additional:Communication[Super-Ventriloquism], Extended[Hearing] 3)

            On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...> wrote:

            Thanks, Cameron. And how to depict characters like Superman, Supergirl, M'Onel and Ultra-Boy?

          • soulslayer
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
              And as another option if you're running low on points or whatnot, you could leave out the Communication (Super-Ventriloquism) and let it be used as a Stunt, as unlike the others it's not really something he uses often nor is it really one of his signature powers like the Penetrating Vision or his greater hearing.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
                Thank you, Bill and soulslayer. I don't have problems with the additional senses; my doubts lay on the extended and enhanced, as the level 3 seems to be so low.

              • soulslayer
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
                  I think it comes down to how you're using Extended (remember that Enhanced levels are bonuses to your Awareness tests)- remember that a rank in Extended "reduces the effective range to sense something by one".

                  So Extended Vision 2 doesn't mean that you can only see across a street (as noted on the Great Powers Benchmarks Table)

                  Rather, it means that what you could normally see across a street you can instead see at Extended Range. It also means that what you could normally see at Extended Range, you can see out a few miles.

                  It's a sliding scale, not a fixed one.

                  --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you, Bill and soulslayer. I don't have problems with the additional
                  > senses; my doubts lay on the extended and enhanced, as the level 3 seems to
                  > be so low.

                • Fabrício César Franco
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
                    soulslayer, I revised my take on M'Onel. If you can, take a look, please, and tell me what you think:

                    http://eidolonicon.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/monel.html

                  • Fabricio
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2013
                      I understood that, soulslayer. What I wanted to know is how to depict a character like Superman or even All-Star (one of the original ICONS characters) in terms of their Supersenses. Higher levels in Extended and Enhanced senses?

                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "soulslayer" <jon_brock@...> wrote:

                      > I think it comes down to how you're using Extended (remember that Enhanced levels are bonuses to your Awareness tests)- remember that a rank in Extended "reduces the effective range to sense something by one".
                      >
                      > So Extended Vision 2 doesn't mean that you can only see across a street (as noted on the Great Powers Benchmarks Table)
                      >
                      > Rather, it means that what you could normally see across a street you can instead see at Extended Range. It also means that what you could normally see at Extended Range, you can see out a few miles.
                      >
                      > It's a sliding scale, not a fixed one.
                      >
                      > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thank you, Bill and soulslayer. I don't have problems with the additional
                      > > senses; my doubts lay on the extended and enhanced, as the level 3 seems to
                      > > be so low.

                    • Icosahedrophilia
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 28, 2013
                        Dear friends, especially Fabricio,

                        On Jun 28, 2013, at 7:09 AM, Fabricio <fabfranco@...> wrote:

                        I understood that, soulslayer. What I wanted to know is how to depict a character like Superman or even All-Star (one of the original ICONS characters) in terms of their Supersenses. Higher levels in Extended and Enhanced senses?

                        Yes, but remember that ICONS is very “coarse” when it comes to distances. There are only personal, close, extended, visual, and beyond. For a maximal representation of Superman’s telescopic vision, for example—if you want him to be able to clearly see a satellite in orbit, let’s say—you need Super-Senses (Extended Vision) 3, so that he sees things that are beyond visual range as if they were close range. Or go up to level 4 if you want him to be able to see things in orbit as if they were at personal range (right in front of his eyes). Going any higher seems like overkill. Extended senses basically “top out” at 4.

                        And for Enhanced Senses, levels higher than 5 are almost like unused minutes on a bad cell phone plan. Once you’re at Enhanced Senses 5, you’re at a +5 for tests involving that sense. Since the range on the dice is –5 to +5, Enhanced Senses 5 effectively turns the possible range of die results into 0 to +10, add your Awareness and you’re not going to be missing much.

                        Chris

                        Chris Heard
                        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                        http://drchris.me/d20
                        ><> ב״ה
                      • Fabrício César Franco
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 28, 2013
                          Chris,

                          Thank you very much for enlighten me. I'm at odds with the benchmarks in Great Power book, that's why I proposed this question to the group. In Great Power, new benchmarks for distances are given, so higher levels seemed appropriate. And that's why I would love to see an official character, like All-Star, being updated for ease of reference.

                        • stevekenson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 28, 2013
                            First, can I say what a pleasure it is to just grab my copy of Great Power off the shelf in order to reference something? = )

                            Secondly, about the Supersenses power:

                            • The overall level is for the Supersenses power itself, with the individual levels divided up amongst the sensory abilities. So Supersenses 5 gives you five total sensory abilities (or levels of sensory abilities).

                            • Note that Extended Supersenses do not use the Benchmark Table, but the distances on page 55 of Icons: So 3 levels of Extended Vision is enough to see virtually anything as if it were at Close Distance. The maximum level of an Extended Sense is 4, since that brings Beyond Distance down to Personal.

                            • So Superman's Supersenses might look something like:

                            Supersenses 7 (Infravision, Extended Hearing 2, Extended Vision 2, Microscopic Vision, Penetration Vision: Cannot see through lead)

                            You might add-in Communication (Super-Ventriloquism) or swap out Infravision (sometimes he has it, sometimes not) or tack on an Additional (Ultrasonic Hearing, ditto there). Even with all those options, he's at Supersenses 9. Tack on an extra level of Extended Vision for the Silver Age Superman, who can view distant galaxies with his telescopic vision.

                            The above applies to other Kryptonians and quasi-Kryptonians (e.g. Mon-El and Ultra Boy).

                            Hope that helps!
                            _____
                            Steve Kenson
                            stevekenson@...
                            www.stevekenson.com

                          • Cameron Mount

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 28, 2013
                                Ditto, Cameron. Thanks everyone who helped giving their opinions. This list is awesome!

                                Sorry if I stirred up the waters, guys, and sorry to having dragged Steve into this, but having his authoritative word on the matter is reassuring.