Icons Bingo Finale

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
      My Icons mini-campaign concluded last night in epic style. It was a session packed with action, drama and betrayal. By the end many if not all the lose ends were tightly wrapped up in a way that made it look really polished. I'm particularly pleased to see how of the big revelations contained in the this session had been previously been foreshadowed; it's almost as if I'd planned it!

      The Icons Bingo tally (the count of characters from the main Icons books that made a personal appearance) for this session was 6, namely:

      Octofather
      Diamond
      Tarpit
      The Creeper
      Corsair Queen
      Nepenthe

      For the campaign as a whole, including characters the Hero Packs and Adamant/Ad Infinitum published adventures the Icons Bingo score goes up to 21, including:

      Harlequin & Colombina
      Little Augie Caesar
      Paper Tiger
      Skeletron
      Serpent Sphinx
      Atomic Roach
      Cougar
      Ghost Fox
      Landshark
      Spider-Fridge
      Inferno
      Miss Fortune
      Buran
      Kavik

      Given my stated personal goal of exploring the Icons-verse with this campagin I think we can say mission accomplished.

      So what lesson were learned?

      The Villainomicon has risen in my estimation. My original impression of the book was that it overall it contained too many exotic, comedy or just hard to use villains. But as I discovered you only get to know villain by playing. Paper Tiger in particular was a revelation, his origami trick is just so cool.

      Also sticking to a pre-existing rogue gallery helped focus my thoughts and helped create new connections in my plot (linking the Octofather and Nepenthe for instance). And having a picutre to show the players is great, supers is such a visual medium. Bear in mind that this campaign came to be out of the blue. I ended up relying a lot of published material because overall I had very little time to create new stuff myself.

      Using published adventures still requires a lot of work particularly as I seem constitutionally incapable of running adventures as written. They can still be a great source of inspiration but they aren't they are not a silver bullet in terms of cutting down prep time. To be honest I kind of new this already.

      Sometimes the less interesting adventures to read turn out the be the more successful ones in actual play.

      As I mention on a previous post, I still have not got a handle on using DPs on behalf of NPCs. This is something I need to take away and think about.

      In media res teasers can be a lot of fun, but they still require a certain amount of depth and flair if you want them to be more than just a pointless random encounter.

      Icons is a really, really fun game. Again, I figure I knew this already, but it is worth repeating.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
        Bravo!

        And how was Nepenthe connected to the Octofather?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
          The thing that links it all up is Octofather, having capture Nepenthe, is harvesting its pollen to power a range alien psionic weaponry with the assistance of The Creeper. It works thematically I think because both Octofather and Nepenthe are aliens with mental powers. The processed alien pollen solution, or as it became known "the Green Goo" would become something characters would come across several times in the course of the campaign.

          In the Tarpit segment, Tarpit's tansformation was caused by him trying to dispose of disposing illegally of toxic waste which was of course green goo (or rather used Green Goo).

          In Through the Looking Glass,  research on the alien telepathic device was being funded by the Octofather and powered by Green Goo.

          In my version of Gangbusters it was the Octofather rather than the Nocenti family arming the gangs with super weapons, which in this case we psionic weapons powered by... Green Goo.

          Once the characters defeated the Octofather and freed Nepenthe, it, after expressing its gratitude, quickly turned on the heroes as it too has it's world domination plans. That was a fun twist and it meant we had two climatic battles for the price of one.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: jhmcmullen@...
          Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:04:12 -0700
          Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Icons Bingo Finale