Re: [icons-rpg] Villain A Day (Karnifex)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
      And of course I just thought of this. Is the implacable enemy for the same (in this dimension) as the one that plagued Rex Mundi's world? I don't know, but I'll bet Rex is trying to find out.

      On 2013-06-23, at 10:59 AM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

      One-sentence summary: An interstellar patriot searching for someone who can save his doomed empire.

      Karnifex is fairly straightforward, though we do not know much about him as a person.  But because of that, Karnifex is a one-trick pony. He shows up, he teleports the PCs, they fight, and they win, lose, or team up to beat Karnifex. Or he loses his empire, and becomes rudderless, a tabula rasa for figures in your campaign world to use as they will.

      Good for one-shots or improvisational games, not so good as a good recurring villain in a long campaign. (Recurring nuisance, yes.)

      We have no idea where he lives (probably in his warp pod, which I made up), whether he looks human out of the armor, what he eats. (The armor doesn't count as a Device in ICONS terms, so he isn't caught out of it; it might not be armor at all: perhaps Karnifex was surgically altered to be this way.) We assume he's a comic-book alien: humanoid, strong, able to live in the earth environment, but that doesn't have to be true.

      The GM is free to make up whatever details they want about loves, hobbies, interests‚ÄĒanything that could affect Karnifex. Maybe the walls of his warp pod are decorated with holograms of space puppies and the Golkothian Imperial flag. We don't know.

      What is a Star Entity, other than its powerful and that the empire might be able to create a possible precursor? Unknown, but it takes a great deal of talent to even be a precursor. It's possible that the Star Entities are the same thing as the Odd Fellow in Danger In Dunsmouth (in which case, Karnifex takes the Odd Fellow home).

      Story Ideas

      • Unwittingly, Karnifex rescues the heroes: he shows up at the last minute (when the players are about to lose) and teleports the villain(s) away, turning what would have been the end into overtime. (This is particularly effective if the villain is someone like The Odd Fellow, from Danger in Dunsmouth.) Can the heroes find the secret combat location? Can the heroes get there? And can the heroes finally defeat the villain?
      • The PCs are approached by the Octofather (through intermediaries). He has a plan. Perhaps they've heard about the Karnifex fellow? Sigma-9 has won the last three matches that Karnifex has arranged, and the Octofather has figured out that if Sigma-9 wins all of them, Karnifex will take him away, ridding the world of two problems. Will the PCs help? Will they fight Sigma-9 and throw the battle? (What the Octofather doesn't tell them is that he's televising the combats, and he's making a healthy profit off the bets off these fixed fights.)
      • Whether or not you allow actual time travel in your campaign, Karnifex has heard of Tempus Khan and is convinced he can use that power to go back in time, so he can still rescue the Empire. But to defeat the Chronal Conqueror and use his armor, Karnifex needs some help. He needs the PCs, either as a main force or as a distraction (depending on their power). He will not, of course, tell them that what he needs is the time-travelling armor.
      • Karnifex: he is depressed, beaten, and he has lost everything. Much like the John Scalzi short story, your heroes take him on a tour of the city or the world to show him that Earth's not so bad. The tour is interrupted by villains who threaten it, but they still get in a ball game. He might even discover that the Golkoth Empire stood for some awful things. Does Karnifex join the side of the good guys?

    • Theron Bretz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
        John asked me to post the characters from my Owlcon one-shot, and I did.

        http://myolddice.blogspot.com/2013/06/hey-kids-its-young-sentinels.html

        Theron
        Houston
      • Jack Saw
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
          Pretty cool!

          ------------------------------
          On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 2:52 PM PDT Theron Bretz wrote:

          >John asked me to post the characters from my Owlcon one-shot, and I did.
          >
          >http://myolddice.blogspot.com/2013/06/hey-kids-its-young-sentinels.html
          >
          >Theron
          >Houston
        • Hollis McCray