Re: [icons-rpg] Power Type Table Alternative

  • Bill Olander
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12 9:23 AM
      I don't know about anyone else but this is useful to me. I've had it as a slightly nagging thing in the back of my head that for whatever reason players just tend not to roll as much alteration for their characters as I'd like. Specifically forms of super strength because the truth is, if you're getting super powers you're probably getting at least a couple of levels of super strength. It never really occured to me that this was due to the tables though. I just thought it was bad dice rolls.

      Thank you.

      On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM, alexknightowl <cblack@...> wrote:

      So looking at random character creation and testing it out, a couple of things stood out that I think I'll change. Figured I'd share with the group...

      The first is the Power Type Table from Great Power. The Power Types are listed in alphabetical order. That's okay but results in a situation where Mental Powers are twice as common as Alteration Powers.

      For me, I want the two most common results to be the Power Types with the most options, Control and Alteration. The most common rolls fall under 4-5 and 9-10, so Control is fine where it is. Offensive is currently at the 9-10 slot, which isn't bad as Offensive powers are pretty common, but it could easily be switched to the second most common result of 7 where Mental sits now.

      So the end result was to switch around the positions of Alteration, Mental, and Offensive for a table like this (odds of each result listed for reference)...

      2-3 (8.33%) Mental Powers
      4-5 (19.44%) Control Powers
      6 (13.88%) Defensive Powers
      7 (16.66%) Offensive Powers
      8 (13.88%) Movement Powers
      9-10 (19.44%) Alteration Powers
      11-12 (8.33%) Sensory Powers

      Again, it's just my personal preference, but to me, this not only gives players more of a chance of rolling the most variable power types, but it also fits the prevalence of the different power types in the comics I want to portray more closely.

      Just hoping it might prove useful to someone else who may feel similarly.

      KO