RE: [icons-rpg] Power Type Table Alternative

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2013
      That makes sense. My gut feeling would be that Offensive, Defensive and Movement are what one might regard as the core to the extent that it's usually nice to have all three covered. At least City of Heroes kind of did it that way. Other powers tend to be more exotic but there's never been a shortage in superherodom of people who can fly, punch or blast things to good effect and aren't troubled by bullets.

      That said, by the time you've accounted for you bouns powers and possible origin the random effect of the selection element of the table is really much reduced.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: cblack@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:02:11 +0000
      Subject: [icons-rpg] Power Type Table Alternative

      So looking at random character creation and testing it out, a couple of things stood out that I think I'll change. Figured I'd share with the group...

      The first is the Power Type Table from Great Power. The Power Types are listed in alphabetical order. That's okay but results in a situation where Mental Powers are twice as common as Alteration Powers.

      For me, I want the two most common results to be the Power Types with the most options, Control and Alteration. The most common rolls fall under 4-5 and 9-10, so Control is fine where it is. Offensive is currently at the 9-10 slot, which isn't bad as Offensive powers are pretty common, but it could easily be switched to the second most common result of 7 where Mental sits now.

      So the end result was to switch around the positions of Alteration, Mental, and Offensive for a table like this (odds of each result listed for reference)...

      2-3 (8.33%) Mental Powers
      4-5 (19.44%) Control Powers
      6 (13.88%) Defensive Powers
      7 (16.66%) Offensive Powers
      8 (13.88%) Movement Powers
      9-10 (19.44%) Alteration Powers
      11-12 (8.33%) Sensory Powers

      Again, it's just my personal preference, but to me, this not only gives players more of a chance of rolling the most variable power types, but it also fits the prevalence of the different power types in the comics I want to portray more closely.

      Just hoping it might prove useful to someone else who may feel similarly.

      KO

    • Bill Olander