RE: [icons-rpg] Icons Bingo

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5 9:31 AM
      Hehe, Iconoblasts.

      Even when running games in well established settings like Marvel or Star Wars I've never been one to worry about accuracy and sticking to the canon. I'm curious to see how Stark City turns out, but frankly Icon's loose background suits me fine.

      The thing is over the past years I've been buying up Icons resources while running my own Icons material (or in the case of Necessary Evil, Savage Worlds material loosely converted to Icons).  And all the while I still had an assortment Dan's Icons illustrations as my screensaver which my players got quite familiar with.

      So I guess it felt like the high time to start putting all these resources and characters to use. And while my focus remains making each session as entertaining for my players as I can, the Icons-bingo bit has turned into a bit of a game within the game for me.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: jhmcmullen@...
      Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 07:16:41 -0700
      Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Icons Bingo

      Very nice!

      But I gather that ICONS was always intended to be a kind of salmagundi of ingredients; that's one of the reasons why there is no formal background. So you want Diamond to be working for Octofather? Sure. You want Wizard to be the Earth's Wizard Wondrous or Master Mage or Ablest Archimage? Great...but it could also be your three PCs who each have one quarter of the power of the previous Archimage...and the fourth quarter is their arch-foe, who believes that he should be the possessor of the title. (Or the previous Archimage was actually King Lear, which leads to many many problems.)

      I kind of miss a pre-built world, because it would be nice for when I'm tired or non-creative; otherwise, mixing and matching is my default behaviour.

      Hmmm. "ICONS Bingo" has a nice ring to it but doesn't really convey the nature of the game. "ICONS Stew," maybe? Or we're all iconoblasts...