Question about Strength and Speed

  • Mark Widner
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2013
      I have a character with strength 8 and he is trying to throw something at a speedster 6 who is trying to get away. How fast can a strength character throw an object. I am not talking about throwing a car but something smaller like a bowling ball, baseball, juggling pin, etc? I know what baseball that a good pitcher can cleaner throw a ball faster than a runner. I just wondered if there was a formula for the speed and the ultimately for the damage.

      Thanks in advance,
      Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2013
        On 5/31/2013 10:32 PM, Mark Widner wrote:
        I have a character with strength 8 and he is trying to throw something at a speedster 6 who is trying to get away. How fast can a strength character throw an object. I am not talking about throwing a car but something smaller like a bowling ball, baseball, juggling pin, etc? I know what baseball that a good pitcher can cleaner throw a ball faster than a runner. I just wondered if there was a formula for the speed and the ultimately for the damage.

        Thanks in advance,
        Mark
        __._,_._

        I'm assuming that he is using Superspeed to dodge, so its not exactly a matter of speed, but the ability to get out of the way USING that speed.

        So it be Str 8 +roll vs Superspeed 6 (depending on who is rolling you can make it Superspeed 6+roll vs Str 8)

      • Mike Olson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2013
          Roll Strength. If he hits the speedster, he threw it fast enough. If not, he didn't.

          Icons isn't really a game of formulae, IMO.

          --Mike

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1 1:43 AM
            I think what you need to look at are the Focused Effort and Stunt rules.

            Throwing is a Coordination test.  You can replace Strength for Coordidnation using the Focused Effort rule which allows you to replace one trait for another for the purpose of a test. That will cost you Determination Point and will require invoking a Quality.

            Superspeed is for moving. Coordination is for dodging. You can replace Superspeed for Coordination when doing if you have Defending as a Bonus power of Superspeed or you can do a use the Stunts rule (like Focused Effort use on power in place of another) . That too will cost you a DP.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
            From: mark.widner@...
            Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 22:32:11 -0500
            Subject: [icons-rpg] Question about Strength and Speed

            I have a character with strength 8 and he is trying to throw something at a speedster 6 who is trying to get away. How fast can a strength character throw an object. I am not talking about throwing a car but something smaller like a bowling ball, baseball, juggling pin, etc? I know what baseball that a good pitcher can cleaner throw a ball faster than a runner. I just wondered if there was a formula for the speed and the ultimately for the damage.

            Thanks in advance,
            Mark

          • stevekenson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2 5:21 AM
              On Jun 1, 2013, at 4:07 PM, devlin1@... wrote:
              Roll Strength. If he hits the speedster, he threw it fast enough. If not, he didn't.

              I agree with Mike's sentiment. In Icons, it's really not a matter of figuring out how fast either character is actually going (or throwing), but can the strong character hit the fleeing fast character? Just roll Coordination vs. Coordination (or Super-Speed, if the speedster has the Defending extra) to see if it hits.

              If you want a fast-and-easy rule of thumb, subtract the object's weight (the minimum Strength level needed to lift it) from the thrower's Strength level to get the speed at which it is thrown. So Strength 8 guy could easily heft something weighing 20 lbs. or so (around Strength 2) and hurl it at Speed 6, but what's really going to matter is will his Coordination test to hit the speedster be successful?

              The damage of a thrown object is equal to the thrower's Strength. See page 59 of Icons for details on throwing.
              _____
              Steve Kenson
              stevekenson@...
              www.stevekenson.com