Re: Challenges Blues

  • Jakub
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 17, 2010
      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Michael Taylor <michaeltaylor1329@...> wrote:

      > > > A player who wants to roleplay their character will - points or not.
      > > > A player who doesnt want to roleplay wont. No matter what incentive you throw at them.
      > > >
      > > <<<<<
      > >
      > > Having never played a FATE game yet, how are you qualified to make that assertion? I don't mean that in a snipey way. It's just that in practice, I've found that when Fate points are in full swing and players are able to use them to increase the amount of cool stuff they can do by tagging Aspects and such, it's unlikely they'll just sit there. I mean, if you don't want to role-play your character, why play a role-playing game?
      > > >

      > It's got nothing to do wth FATE. You simply can't use rules to force/encourage people to roleplay.
      >
      > I'm qualified because I can read. And my personal experience in roleplaying.
      >
      > People play RPG's for all sorts of reason. Roleplaying isnt always one of them.

      So don't play RPGs that use roleplaying incentives in the system. I couldn't run Smallville RPG, for instance, because I don't feel comfortable controlling large number of PC's friends and allies.

      > > > I LOVE that the new DCA swings the pendulum back to the way it origonal was - you only get extra points for roleplaying that you actually do!
      > > >
      > > I'm not sure I understand this. When would you get points for roleplaying you didn't do? I've not read DCA, so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
      > >

      > Back in the olden days, the only way you got points for roleplaying was through bonus experience ponts the GM decided to give you.
      >
      > Which meant you only got points *after* you roleplayed.
      >
      > So far, I think this works the best.

      I like Savage World's (and ICONS', to some extent) model where each player gets the same number of XP (for success and participation), and the active players get non-xp rewards. This way, each player gets to enjoy the munchkin aspect (because, hey, new toys are awesome), the active players get rewarded, and the non-active ones (who, btw, should totally be respected) can get a bennie once in a while ("And Tony, you get a bennie for not-spoiling the negotiations with the count").