Re: [icons-rpg] Skeletron Key..without Skeletron

  • L M
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2013
      Sounds like good GMing - I've found ICONS encourages improvisation, or maybe that's just my own attitude towards it. The lighter mechanics make me feel more comfortable with seat-of-the-pants running than some other games.

      I'd call it "The SPARTAN Affair". That also leaves the whole Skeletron thing available down the road.

      On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

      I kicked off a new ICONS campaign yesterday. At the last minute one of the players had to cancel which meant I had quickly rethink the campaign opening. Needing something to run quickly I reached to the Skeletron Key, and adventure I had run twice before and one I can feel confident to contain inside a single session.

      Mild spoilers below, you have been warned.

      On the spur of the moment I decided to replace the mercenary Del Rossum with Inferno and Miss Fortune, a couple of proper supervillains from Sins of the Past. I mean, homage to RUR aside, why fight boring mercs when you can have a proper super vs super smackdown?

      Anyway to cut a long story short, the players got really into the investigation, went off all sorts on interesting tangents and did some really cool things with with Dream Travelling power, a power I have never seen in action before. As a result though by the time we were getting close to home time, they only gotten as far a learning that Kapeck had hired the mercs to steal his own SPARTAN.

      And that's when, using massive GM retcon powers, I decided, sure why not?  It really was Kapeck all along. And so the players had Kapeck arrested based on Inferno's testimony and he duly fully confessed he was behind the whole thing as part of his quest to transfer his consciousness.

      I am sure some GM would find this sort of wholescale retcon a bit disturbing and I sympathise. What is the point of the players trying to make sense of the clues if the GM is just making it all up as he goes along?  But I balanced this consideration against the fact that the players at that point were really psyched and kind of proud of having discovered the "truth" and pleased about how neatly things came together. Why throw that all away for the sake of integrity?

      But the off-shoot is that I have now run the Skeletron Key without Skeletron. Should I just call it "The Key"?

      Also, as if it needed to be said, yesterday's game reminded my of just how good ICONS is. I do run and play other game, there is a lot of good stuff out there, but I just find when I run ICONS there is just a special magic and the game is just 20% more alive than any other game  I run.