Converting Marvel TSR RPG to ICONS

    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2013
      interesting post over on RPG.net. Thought I'd post it over here to maybe get some discussion going (and to change the subject from the lamentable Team-Up situation)

      here's the link:
      http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?688258-ICONS-Converting-Marvel-TSR-RPG-to-ICONS-Sh-X-Y-Z-Class-1000-3000-etc-How

      and - here's the question (from poster ManfromUK):

      "So, I'm looking at all my old TSR classic Advanced Marvel RPG books and they are screaming to be converted into ICONS.
      It goes really smoothly until we go past Unearthly (which easily converts to level 10).

      The big question is:

      I know 10 is the highest in ICONS but we want to play like the old Marvel game and use Shift levels to have slugfests between the cosmic big-hitters.

      Converting Shift X, Y, Z and Class 1000, 3000 and 5000 into ICONS – how would you do it? Go up by 1 or 2 per level ? or is there a mathematically better way to convert?

      Can anyone authoritative advise us on this? Thanks. "
    • Curt

          Message 4 of 7 , May 9, 2013

            The rulebook does mention several times about things that are off the scale – below 1 or above 10.

            I can think of a couple ways to handle the problems.

            My first thought is to recalibrate the scale. Level 10 is now the Beyonder. Level 1 is max human (or even superhuman). Play as normal, but the normal people get crushed (as they should). This works best if you’re going to be playing at cosmic levels regularly, rather than as a one-off.

            A second idea would be to adopt something like the old Fudge scaling rules. I guess this would also be similar to Heroquest masteries. The basic idea is that there’s a scale number associated with each ability. When comparing, you compare scale numbers first, then the actual stat. Higher scale automatically beats lower scale.

            So, for example, Saguaro has Strength 7 Scale 0. Omnismash the planet crusher has Strength 3, Scale 2. Omnismash wins, period – no need to roll, since he’s on a different scale.

            An idea for a proposed Savage Worlds hack (from rpg.net) could also work here: for each scale different, shift results in favor of the higher scale by one category per scale difference. What the heck does that mean?

            Basically, if you’re opposing someone, and you’ve got one scale different from them, then massive fails become major failure, major failure becomes moderate failure, moderate failure becomes moderate success, etc. For two scale difference, shift result two steps, so a moderate fail becomes a major success, etc.

            The third idea – just wing it. J

            -Chris

            Message 5 of 7 , May 9, 2013
              Stark City suggests rejiggering the scale so that “human average” is 0 or 1, giving a little extra space at the top. Raising power levels above 10 seems to get you into auto-success, no-possible-failure pretty quickly, Would this be gamebreaking if all characters involved were in the same ranges?

              Chris Heard
              Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
              http://drchris.me/d20

              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2013
                Unfortunately, I'm at a place without access to RPG.NET, so I might be duplicating comments here.

                There are two situations I can imagine: the two characters being within 5 ranks of each other (5 being the maximum modifier due to dice) or the characters are farther apart than that.  Obviously, if they are more than 5 ranks apart, the higher character cannot miss (the maximum bad dice roll being a -5), and will probably obliterate the puny Hu-mon.

                But  the normal scale runs more than 5 ranks, so the not-being-able-to-hit thing is something you deal with regularly: it's part of the character concept. Even with a gun, only the best sharpshooter in the normal world can hit Mercury once in a while, because he's Coordination 10. So he aims or something to improve his shot, or gets a situational Quality that adds another +2. In the spirit of the superhero comics, I don't think there should be a fiat related to scale.

                If one character is at the top of one range and the other character is at the bottom of the next range, they can still affect each other. Yes, by the numbers only Mercury stands a chance of hitting the Galactic Gladiator, because he's Coordination 14, but perhaps the characters should make a plan that makes use of GG's known weakness of Sucker For Ditzy Blondes.

                Stark City suggests rejiggering the scale so that “human average” is 0 or 1, giving a little extra space at the top. Raising power levels above 10 seems to get you into auto-success, no-possible-failure pretty quickly, Would this be gamebreaking if all characters involved were in the same ranges?

                Chris Heard
                Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                http://drchris.me/d20
                ><> ב״ה

              • Icosahedrophilia
                Message 7 of 7 , May 9, 2013
                  On May 9, 2013, at 10:13 AM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:
                  If one character is at the top of one range and the other character is at the bottom of the next range, they can still affect each other. Yes, by the numbers only Mercury stands a chance of hitting the Galactic Gladiator, because he's Coordination 14, but perhaps the characters should make a plan that makes use of GG's known weakness of Sucker For Ditzy Blondes.

                  And here I thought it was redheads. No wonder we lost that last throwdown.