Re: [icons-rpg] With Great Power is out!

    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2013
      On 5/7/2013 4:28 PM, Soylent Green wrote:

      I just bought all the new goodies, including WGP. the GM screen and Hero Pack 4. I am very excited.

      The changes  seem at first glance more extensive than I expected. And here's the catch. I'm starting a new ICONS campaign this Thursday. I won't have time to read and digest all the new stuff before then and also entirely reliant on the character folio for my games.

      What can I take from WGP in this short span of time I have without swapping fully to the new rules yet?

      Your email se

      Online?  Also, in general, I'd probably just find out what people were playing and discuss the new rules/ideas for their powers from WGP, meaning you only need to learn what the players can do (and any villains you plan on using.)

    • Icosahedrophilia
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2013
        I believe that the new Gamemaster’s Screen comes with some guidance on converting from “old ICONS” to “new ICONS.”

        Also, just for the record, the name of the product is just “Great Power,” not “With Great Power.”

        And also, just for the record, the layout is pretty awesome and I would love to see Daniel Solis’s look-and-feel for GP become the standard for Ad Infinitum products moving forward. Except that the black text is kind of hard to read on the yellow halftone backgrounds. It actually looks fine on the blue halftone backgrounds.

        Chris Heard
        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
        http://drchris.me/d20
        ><> ב״ה

      • Icosahedrophilia
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2013
          Sorry, what I wrote below is wrong. The “conversion guide” is bundled with Great Power itself, not with the GM screen.

          On May 7, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:

          I believe that the new Gamemaster’s Screen comes with some guidance on converting from “old ICONS” to “new ICONS.”

          Chris Heard
          Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
          http://drchris.me/d20
          ><> ב״ה

        • Chris Tavares
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2013

            If you want to stay compatible with the old Character Folio[1] then you really can’t use any of the new powers themselves, although you could probably refer to the new book for power descriptions.

            You can definitely use the new stunt rules – they’re pretty much what everyone was playing with anyway: no roll to see if the stunt works at all, just pay the determination, tag an aspect and go. Stunt tests also look interesting – roll to see if a stunt works, but don’t pay determination (this one’s optional).

            The benchmarks table is new, and should be very useful.

            Until you get the updated character folio, you probably don’t want the individual power changes.

            -Chris

            [1] Although I’m jealous – the character folio stopped working for me a while ago. A Java update apparently disabled my ability to save files. I can create all the characters I want, I just have to copy them down onto paper afterwards.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2013
              First of all my condolences for your version of the Character Folio. I think if the Character Folio stopped working on my computer I would buy a new computer. :-)

              I think you are right about the Stunt rules. We certainly ignored the roll to see if you can activate the Stunt bit,  the DP cost seems sufficient and to see a Stunt fizzle, especially if it was a clever, creative use of a power, is no fun.
              But I think that came (along with the rest of the Stunt rules) from MSH.

              To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com