Re: [icons-rpg] Re: Regarding Cortex Marvel RPG

  • Bill Olander
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2013
      The ones in the main book were very much "Don't give your character all D12s and you'll be fine." The ones from the website were an a random character generator but there was still a fair amount of guesswork involved. I'm pretty sure I'd seen some fan-made point buy versions however.

      On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

      The dependence on the event format was, I think, largely a business decision, and probably the people involved hoped it would drive people to the game: Marvel fans would say, "I woulda done Age of Apocalypse differently" and give them the tools to do so.

      The character creation rules are right in the main rulebook, but you do have to squint sort of sideways to recognize them--there are only about two or three pages besides the power and specialty descriptions, hidden as "how I modeled Captain America.".  (It's the random character generation rules that are on the MWP site.)

      Because the events were such a big part of their design, "how to create an adventure and characters" does get lost, but it's there in the rulebook...it's just sideways to my way of thinking. I'd actually like someone to come up with a world and an adventure or three that show off the noncombat part of the system, because it really seemed like there was a huge emphasis on combat.

      Still too fiddly for me to run, but I had to try it to be sure.