Regarding Marvel

  • Colin T
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2013
      What was your opinion about the Cortex-Marvel rpg?

      Do you think they did the best they could with whatever deal they had with Marvel?

      I'm just wondering why event books?

      Maybe you can answer what I'm obviously missing since at least unlike Green Ronin they didn't get confronted with a reboot shortly after they began their licensing deal?
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2013
        On 4/25/2013 2:31 PM, Colin T wrote:
        > What was your opinion about the Cortex-Marvel rpg?
        >
        > Do you think they did the best they could with whatever deal they had with Marvel?
        >
        > I'm just wondering why event books?
        >
        > Maybe you can answer what I'm obviously missing since at least unlike Green Ronin they didn't get confronted with a reboot shortly after they began their licensing deal?

        It was a bit to fiddly. I enjoyed their Smallville game, although it
        needed clearer writing/directions.

        Marvel had the same lack of clarity, but less substance in terms of char
        gen/soap opera, and as a (older/longer term) fan of Marvel comics, I
        can tell you they needed more soap opera in their game.
      • Jonathan Lang
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2013
          On Apr 25, 2013, at 1:29 PM, "Tim K." <silverlion@...> wrote:

          On 4/25/2013 2:31 PM, Colin T wrote:
          > What was your opinion about the Cortex-Marvel rpg?
          >
          > Do you think they did the best they could with whatever deal they had with Marvel?
          >
          > I'm just wondering why event books?
          >
          > Maybe you can answer what I'm obviously missing since at least unlike Green Ronin they didn't get confronted with a reboot shortly after they began their licensing deal?

          It was a bit to fiddly. I enjoyed their Smallville game, although it
          needed clearer writing/directions.

          Marvel had the same lack of clarity, but less substance in terms of char
          gen/soap opera, and as a (older/longer term) fan of Marvel comics, I
          can tell you they needed more soap opera in their game.

          Frankly, Marvel could really have used something like Smallville's Values and Relationships setup — the Values part, at least.  The Solo/Partner/Team thing just didn't feel right for the setting.