Marvel Heroic cancelled

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
      Marvel has pulled the plug on the recent Marvel Heroic RPG. The only reason I mention it is that if anyone is still on the fence regarding getting the game or not, from what I understand they only have till the end of April to buy the pdf before it's withdrawn from sale.

      Personally as much I as am a Marvel fan, the new MH game sounded a little too fiddly for my tastes, but it is still sad to see a new and innovative supers game getting cancelled so soon.
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
        I too think it's too fiddly, but it had some good ideas, and I'm sorry to see it go.

        Marvel has pulled the plug on the recent Marvel Heroic RPG. The only reason I mention it is that if anyone is still on the fence regarding getting the game or not, from what I understand they only have till the end of April to buy the pdf before it's withdrawn from sale.

        Personally as much I as am a Marvel fan, the new MH game sounded a little too fiddly for my tastes, but it is still sad to see a new and innovative supers game getting cancelled so soon.

      • Cameron Mount
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
          Wait, what? It was getting rave reviews and hundreds of positive postings about it. I can only assume that Marvel pulled the license. Anything else doesn't make much sense. I also never bought it because I'm not a huge fan of the Cortex system in general, but it's still shocking.

          On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

          I too think it's too fiddly, but it had some good ideas, and I'm sorry to see it go.

          Marvel has pulled the plug on the recent Marvel Heroic RPG. The only reason I mention it is that if anyone is still on the fence regarding getting the game or not, from what I understand they only have till the end of April to buy the pdf before it's withdrawn from sale.

          Personally as much I as am a Marvel fan, the new MH game sounded a little too fiddly for my tastes, but it is still sad to see a new and innovative supers game getting cancelled so soon.

        • Craig McRoberts
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
            From what I understand, the Civil War book didn't make the sales that they projected would be able to sustain the line. Personally, I thought the game was great, but the presentation of it seemed a bit ham-fisted.

            Craig

            Sent from my iPhone

[...]

          • Icosahedrophilia
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
              According to MWP, sales of the event books didn’t meet the level needed to keep the line going. http://margaretweis.com/21-home-page/56-pipleine-news

              In a way, this turn of events is not all that surprising. Much like trying to keep up with one of Marvel’s big crossover events in the comics, you had to buy several different MHR products to get the “whole story.” The model was that they would put out the core book and then a series of “event books.” But the Civil War event book turned out to be actually four separate books: Civil War Event Book, Civil War X-Men, Civil War Young Avengers, and Civil War Fifty State Initiative. That’s an MSRP of $100 on top of the core book, or $110 if you need the operations guide bundled with your Civil War Event Book. That’s a pretty big investment in a brand-new line.

              On Apr 24, 2013, at 1:02 PM, Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...> wrote:
              Wait, what? It was getting rave reviews and hundreds of positive postings about it. I can only assume that Marvel pulled the license. Anything else doesn't make much sense. I also never bought it because I'm not a huge fan of the Cortex system in general, but it's still shocking.

              Chris Heard
              Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
              http://drchris.me/d20
              ><> ב״ה

            • Bill Olander

[...]

                • Hollis McCray

                    --
                    Hollis McCray
                    aka The Fifth Wanderer

                    ascensionschild@...

                  • Icosahedrophilia
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
                      It already did … MHR was built on Cortex Plus, which powers other MWP games as well. You can also get the Cortex core rules as a stand-alone game engine that you can skin with whatever setting you want; I’m not sure if Cortex Plus is available stand-alone.

                      On Apr 24, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Bill Olander <plusonesword@...> wrote:
                      I only played MHR once but found it had some cool mechanics that were a lot of fun once you wrapped your head around them. I hope the game system finds some love in a a new less licensed setting.

                      Chris Heard
                      Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                      http://drchris.me/d20
                      ><> ב״ה

                    • Chris Tavares
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013

                        Could someone with more details clarify something? They said that there won’t be anything more for the line, but will the core book still be available even if the event books don’t happen? They’re kinda vague in the blog post.

                        Thanks,

                        -Chris

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
                          To the best of my knowledge, if you can find a book that's already hit distribution, it's available. But no more will be forthcoming, due to licensing matters. The same with PDF copies. I know they're going to be gone from DTRPG at the end of this month.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Apr 24, 2013, at 17:39, "Chris Tavares" <cct@...> wrote:

                          Could someone with more details clarify something? They said that there won’t be anything more for the line, but will the core book still be available even if the event books don’t happen? They’re kinda vague in the blog post.

                          Thanks,

                          -Chris

                          Marvel has pulled the plug on the recent Marvel Heroic RPG. The only reason I mention it is that if anyone is still on the fence regarding getting the game or not, from what I understand they only have till the end of April to buy the pdf before it's withdrawn from sale.

                          Personally as much I as am a Marvel fan, the new MH game sounded a little too fiddly for my tastes, but it is still sad to see a new and innovative supers game getting cancelled so soon.

                          Recent Activity:
                            MARKETPLACE

                            Yahoo! Groups
                            Switch to: Text-Only, Daily DigestUnsubscribe
                          • Chris Tavares
                            Message 12 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013

                              There’s no Cortex+ “core rulebook.” There is a recently completed kickstarter for the Cortex+ Hacker’s Guide. Cortex+ is something that gets seriously tweaked in each game, so the hacker’s guide approach is actually a good one – ideas and suggestions for how to build your game using Cortex+.

                              Kickstarter was successful, book should be out this summer.

                              -Chris

                              It already did … MHR was built on Cortex Plus, which powers other MWP games as well. You can also get the Cortex core rules as a stand-alone game engine that you can skin with whatever setting you want; I’m not sure if Cortex Plus is available stand-alone.

                              On Apr 24, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Bill Olander <plusonesword@...> wrote:

                              I only played MHR once but found it had some cool mechanics that were a lot of fun once you wrapped your head around them. I hope the game system finds some love in a a new less licensed setting.

                              Chris Heard
                              Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                              http://drchris.me/d20
                              ><> ב״ה

                            • Cameron Mount
                              Message 13 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013

                                Posts at RPG.net by creators indicate that Marvel wants all books and PDFs pulled from the market by Tuesday.

                                Message 14 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                                  I was a freelancer on a couple of the cosmic supplements (one of which is still unreleased). Very sad to see it canceled.

                                  And - my understanding from talking to MWP is that all products will be yanked off the market by months end.

                                  --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Tavares" <cct@...> wrote:

                                  > Could someone with more details clarify something? They said that there
                                  > won't be anything more for the line, but will the core book still be
                                  > available even if the event books don't happen? They're kinda vague in the
                                  > blog post.
                                  >

                                  > Thanks,
                                  >

                                  > -Chris

                                • Fabrício César Franco
                                  Message 15 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                                    Call me a thick-headed guy, but I hated the amount of dice involved in Cortex system. I like the simplicity of ICONS for a reason...

                                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/fabfranco
                                    Blog: Logomaquia
                                    Blog: Ludo Sapiens
                                  • Mike Morgado
                                    Message 16 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                                      I wanted to like it, but games like cortex + (I enjoyed cortex) and FATE seem to be beyond my grasp.
                                      I like games that have stats and powers done the old school way.

                                      Sent from the SDF-5 Command Ship

                                      Message 17 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                                        I forgot to add that I feel bad for all the writers, editors and everyone who worked on the books.
                                        Regardless of how I feel about the books, the game was popular with many and all involved deserve kudos for their hard work.