Re: [icons-rpg] Re: scale progression

  • Mike Morgado
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
      I loved the Marvel adjectives. :) That was my first ever roleplaying game.

      I like Legendary as the rank 10.  Cosmic should be off the scale IMO

      Sent from the SDF-5 Command Ship

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
        The scale I'd use:

        0: Abysmal
        1: Terrible
        2: Poor
        3: Mediocre
        4: Fair
        5: Good
        6: Great
        7: Outstanding
        8: Awesome
        9: Incredible
        10: Supreme

        Reasoning:
        Terrible is definitely worse than Poor; but Abysmal is the absolute worst.  Conversely, Supreme is the absolute best; so I'd bookend the scale with these two adjectives.  If you're assigning numbers to them, I'd be inclined to put Abysmal at "zero".

        Average and Typical tend to be statistical in nature (Average is the Mean, or the mid-point where there are as many examples down-scale as up-scale; and Typical is the Mode, or the point on the scale that most frequently occurs), and so don't strike me as good terms to use in building the scale itself: they're better off being reserved for use in talking about the scale.

        Mediocre, Fair, and Adequate are essentially defined as "worse than Good, but better than Poor"; and Mediocre falls just short of being "good enough to get by", and so is clearly between Poor and the other two.  I'd go with Fair because it's a more broadly-applicable term than Adequate; I wouldn't try to use both because the relative definitions of Fair and Adequate are murky.

        I went with "Outstanding" rather than "Superb" to avoid confusion between "Superb" and "Supreme": they just look too much alike.

        Great is better than Good; and Outstanding is better than Great, but not good enough to bring the sense of awe implied by Amazing or Astounding (which, according to Merriam-Webster, are essentially synonyms: "Amazing" is "something that astounds").  I'd also put Astonishing and Awesome on par with Amazing and Astounding: all four of these imply something that's awe-inspiring.  Pick one and go with it; I chose Awesome because its most clearly about being "awe-inspiring".

        However, Incredible and Fantastic take it beyond awe-inspiring into the realm of invoking disbelief (something is "fantastic" if it is "like a fantasy"; something is "Incredible" if it is "not credible").  Of the two, I'd be inclined to go with "Incredible", because the sense of disbelief is right there in the name.  When measuring human capability, Awesome is the highest that is believable; Incredible starts getting into the territory of tall tales.

        And, as I said at the start, Supreme is the upper limit: it's the absolute best that's possible.  Which means that anything beyond Supreme is in the realm of the impossible.

        If using 4dF as your randomizer, it's worth noting that someone with Fair (4) ability can achieve results ranging from Abysmal to Awesome; but an Incredible result is literally too good to be true.

        On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM, stevekenson <stevekenson@...> wrote:

        Thoughts on this Scale progression...?

        Weak
        Poor
        Average
        Fair
        Good
        Great
        Incredible
        Amazing
        ???

        --
        Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang

      • shadow_walker_818
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
          Well, for the original Marvel Game by TSR, I added the following:

          35 Fantastic
          45 Spectacular (for Spectacular Spiderman)
          60 Sensational (if I recall, correctly, for Sensational She-Hulk)
          90 Awesome

          Other possibilities: Astonishing, Uncanny, Marvelous, Phenomenal, Godlike