Re: Interesting Thoughts about Restoring Stamina During Combat

  • wee_ree_cat
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
      I personally like it better than spending one point of Determination and getting back up with a lot (usually) of Stamina. I'll try it next game I do.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
        I think my players would struggle with the concept of healing coming from nowhere. I am mean no matter how abstractly you treat 'hit points' there is still a strong association in many players minds between stamina damage and actual wounds. Spending a DP to regain Stamina may not really make any more sense but I psychologically guess the feel as active participants in the healing.

        On a slight tangent, in my home-post apocalyptic, highly streamlined Fate game (which in play feels very ICONS-like), I have something similar to the aura associated to the initiative roll. Basically initiative is team based and rolled each turn. One an even result the party goes first, on and odd result the critters go first. Additionally on a '6' the heroes get a +1 to all their dice rolls but one a '1' a new critters joins the fray (or one that previously had gone down get's back up).
        This makes combat very unpredictable.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2013
          It's an interesting idea, but I'd have to try it out and see it in action. Thinking about my ICONS combat experiences, the longer they go is usually because everyone involved still has enough Stamina left to keep going before a knock out. As for getting knocked out of the fight and coming back in like you see in comics, the existing Slam and Stun rules already emulate that.

          jaerdaph