BIFF! BAM! POW! Cards - A Drama Deck for ICONS

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 16, 2013
      I posted a PDF of the drama cards I've been using in my home ICONS game sessions on my blog today. Please feel free to grab a copy and let me know what you think. And if you have any ideas for additional cards or great comic book quotes to use as card titles, please share them. Half the fun of these was coming up with in-game benefits for the quotes.

      http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2013/01/biff-bam-pow-cards-of-icons.html

      I hope you find them useful, or even mildly entertaining. :)

      Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales
      JUST ADD HEROES
      http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com
    • Cameron Mount

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
          These are great. DO you put illustrations on the other side?

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
            Joe
            this is awesome

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
              On 1/17/2013 12:32 PM, dirkgentry2000 wrote:

              > Joe
              > this is awesome

              I share this sentiment, they are indeed awesome.
            • Colin T
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
                Much obliged looks interesting!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Thanks, everyone!

                  I'll be adding a page of card "backs" designed by bliss_infinte to the PDF so they can be printed double-sided if you want so they look like a real deck of cards. :)

                  jaerdaph

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
                    On 1/17/2013 6:22 PM, jaerdaph wrote:
                    > Thanks, everyone!
                    >
                    > I'll be adding a page of card "backs" designed by bliss_infinte to the PDF so they can be printed double-sided if you want so they look like a real deck of cards. :)
                    >
                    > jaerdaph

                    Can I share the link on the Capes and Cowls Google+ Community?
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
                      I think they're very impressive. I like them.

                      In the admittedly rare case where a player draws a card that's of no use, I'd probably house-rule it, such as "trade it." (It's a rare case because only Wonderful Toys requires something that not all players have, and the GM can make sure there's a gadget of some kind in each adventure--probably by being very liberal with the term "gadget.")

                      Similar to one of the cards that already exists, I might add:

                      I FOUGHT THAT GUY! -- The player gets to identify any villain (even a new one) as an old foe, and has automatic knowledge of one of the villain's aspects. (Note for the GM: the villain might be an old foe or rival in normal human identity, and the aspect might not be one you have written up yet, if the villain is truly new.)

                      So, for instance, Caroline Creecher has just this page been turned into the Crinoline Corrupter, a strange being with the ability to turn into living fabric and who can suffocate, bind, gag, or blind, depending on what she fastens herself to. The player of the Whirling Wombat plays I FOUGHT THAT GUY, and says, "Why, that's Caroline Creecher! I used to know her back in high school! Back then, she was certain she was inadequate--I'll bet she's still got that terrible insecurity!" Then the player can tag "Insecure" as an aspect in an attempt.

                      But as I say, that's a variation on an existing card. They're darn nice and good!

                      I'll be adding a page of card "backs" designed by bliss_infinte to the PDF so they can be printed double-sided if you want so they look like a real deck of cards. :)

                      jaerdaph

                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Walt"  wrote:

                      > These are great.  DO you put illustrations on the other side?
                      >
                      > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Mount  wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Those are pretty cool, Joe.
                      > >

                      > > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM, jaerdaph  wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > I posted a PDF of the drama cards I've been using in my home ICONS game
                      > > > sessions on my blog today. Please feel free to grab a copy and let me know
                      > > > what you think. And if you have any ideas for additional cards or great
                      > > > comic book quotes to use as card titles, please share them. Half the
                      fun of
                      > > > these was coming up with in-game benefits for the quotes.
                      > > >
                      > > > http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2013/01/biff-bam-pow-cards-of-icons.html
                      > > >
                      > > > I hope you find them useful, or even mildly entertaining. :)
                      > > >
                      > > > Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales
                      > > > JUST ADD HEROES
                      > > > http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
                        Yes, please do, Tim! I'd forgotten to do that after I shared it on the ICONS community. Thanks!

                        jaerdaph

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
                          Variations on a theme are good - I FOUGHT THAT GUY! could also be the in-character explanation for why the hero knows what he knows about the villain from the VILLAINOMICON card.

                          Since players can tag other characters' Qualities AND Challenges to spend Determination, I might add a card called MY ENEMY MY FRIEND: You discover one Identity or Motivation Quality (selected randomly by the Game Master) of any enemy or other adversary you choose, so that you may tag that enemy's Quality to spend Determination.

                          Just wait until April Fools Day - I have some funny ones I'm saving up for a special edition. BOOB WINDOW, anyone? :D

                          jaerdaph