Peacekeepers

  • Jakub
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2012
      Once in a while I'll try to post what happens vis-a-vis Peacekeepers or some random musings on the setting. If you're interested, ask me anything :)

      Peacekeepers is not the first setting to play the "Aliens invade, PCs are humanity last hope", and probably it won't be the last one. But I tried to do some interesting things with it. For starters, the PCs are the elite team of the setting. They can't call for cavalry, because they are the cavalry. They'll face robots, armored megalomaniacs, cultists, aliens, and might destroy the Earth in the final battle.

      One of the ideas that led to actual playing of the Peacekeepers is that Icons' random generation system tends to create... shall we say, "unusual" superheroes. After all, who would rely on talking cactus man? ;) The answer to this is that the PCs are literally the only ones left... and therefore Peacekeepers are somewhat darker than you might expect. It's not exactly a perfect fit for Icons default cartoony style, after all, I'm a child of the 90's (in my first Spider-Man comic Scorpion got upgraded with a new, sharp stinger that could throw acid), but the Icons system is so versatile.

      A good portion of the book is taken by Savage Worlds crunch, but I hope that Icons players could find there some inspiration - an Edge or Hindrance could make a good aspect, while the equipment might be a good power stunt or a neat thing to mention during the game. Some parts use a standard deck of cards - and it shouldn't be too hard to find for Icons players.

      A thing I'm proud of is a random "civilian" event generator. Depending on your preferences you can use these ideas to develop short role-playing scenes, involve the character's normal life in plots, or use them to simply inform the players what's happened between adventures ("Your wife died, your house burned down, and you adopted a kitty."). You determine what you've been doing in general (determine the color of the card) and then draw a card for each week of downtime. If the suit matches your activity, a random event occurs. For instance Diamonds are matched to work, so if you specified that you're going to mostly sit in your little cubicle, any diamond card will mean a random event. A nine of Diamonds would mean a work-related reward (probably a finacial one), while three of hearts problems in your family/love life. You could spun off mini-stories off these, or make them part of your campaign, your choice.
    • Colin T
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2012
        The worst I've been thinking along this line is if I ever get a dimensional travelling character rolled was to give them the background that they have the ability to travel about 1500 years into the future and its like going from today to a remake of the world shown in the 13th warrior movie with Anthony Banderas.

        The idea is that this character is heading into the past trying to figure out what happened and fine some way to prevent it and it'll get to the stage where the character realises all they can do is help groups of people move to their future so they can help rebuild civilisation but as far as the modern world is concerned this perosbn is either serial kidnapping or a serial killer who can't reveal the truth since that would cause a major panic as the few who do know or suspect are trying to take advantage of the situation but that eventually is what causes the cataclysm and the character can't intervene since the only alternative means of preventing the subsequent loss of life is to get them to speed up the establishing of an offworld settlement... given the current world situation that isn't going to happen...
      • Jakub
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2012
          > The idea is that this character is heading into the past trying to figure out what happened and fine some way to prevent it and it'll get to the stage where the character realises all they can do is help groups of people move to their future so they can help rebuild civilisation but as far as the modern world is concerned this perosbn is either serial kidnapping or a serial killer who can't reveal the truth since that would cause a major panic as the few who do know or suspect are trying to take advantage of the situation but that eventually is what causes the cataclysm and the character can't intervene since the only alternative means of preventing the subsequent loss of life is to get them to speed up the establishing of an offworld settlement... given the current world situation that isn't going to happen...

          Great minds think alike, we already have this kind of character - only he's a hyper-intelligent ape.
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2012
            I suddenly have an idea for an over-the-top vigilante. The heroes think he's going too far by disintegrating the bad guys when in fact he is building an army.