RE: [icons-rpg] Powerful minions/henchmen/etc for heroes

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 20, 2012
      Ah yes. I had a Pistols/Thugs mastermind too. She was so much fun I soloed her all teh way to 50 without even noticing. Nothing quite prepares you for the thrill of seeing your brute arriving on a motorcycle for the first time!

      As for converting this to Icons, I'd be tempted to take Plant Control as a model. I am not saying thugs are just vegetables, but in ICONS mechanics term they might as well be. To simulate the multiple minions effect I'd allow the player to select this power multiple times as a bonus power - each rolled individually and each time times its selected  counting towards the starting DP pool.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: cameron.a.mount@...
      Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 07:02:00 -0500
      Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Powerful minions/henchmen/etc for heroes

      I also played CoH for a long time. I was in the closed and open betas and played for the first 13 months or so. Then I lapsed for a few years and started again with 6 months of subscription just before it went F2P, and then I played off and on until the announcement earlier this year.

      My favorite Mastermind was a character I called Mr. Bowler. He was a 19th Century Victorian criminal with pistols and thugs, who were the closest to the visual aesthetic I wanted.

      So, if I were to do him in ICONS, I'd look at Duplication as the parent power, but I would change the flavor slightly such that the henchmen weren't actually identical.

      On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Bruce Baugh <bbaugh@...> wrote:

      Hello, all! The proverbial first-time post here...

      One of the things I've been doing with ICONS is seeing how many of my
      soon-to-be-lost City of Heroes characters I can model in it. The
      answer is "a lot". But I'm a little stumped trying to figure out how
      to get the essence of the mastermind down.

      This is what's up with the CoH mastermind. In CoH, each character has
      a primary power set and a secondary one. An awesomely agile shooter
      might have Dual Pistols and Super Reflexes, for instance, while
      someone with an intuitive bond to fundamental forces might have
      Gravity Control and Time Manipulation. In general, the primary power
      set is the heavy hitter, the thing that lets a character make her mark
      on the world. In the case of masterminds, that's the kind of henchman
      they summon - robots, or demons, or ninjas, and so on.

      (Here's a short clip illustrating the point:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKqP2SzAa0 - the player is mostly
      telling the bots who to target, and supporting with a little bit of
      trap laying. The bots do the damage.)

      Now I suppose one could take the shortcut of simply taking Blast and
      the like and having robots or whatever minions purely as descriptive
      fodder. But I never did like that. It feels like they should matter at
      least as much as ice slides and the like. But I'm a bit at a loss how
      to handle them well in ICONS.

      There _are_ minion rules, of course, but those are for basically
      disposable NPCs. This sort of henchman/companion is substantially more
      durable. It could well be that working in a simple custom riff on
      Animal Control would be the thing to do. Any other options I'm
      overlooking?

      Regards,
      Bruce

    • Cameron Mount
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2012
        That's actually a really good idea, too.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 20, 2012
          Yeah, that definitely works as well, focusing on the effects that get delivered. How'd you handle attacks aimed at the henchentities?

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 21, 2012
            With Plant Control I always just assumed that the plant-minions had Stamina points equal to the power's rank. Rereading the power I now realise that is not actually in the rules.

            That tends to happen a lot to me with ICONS, the boundary between the rules as written and my own interpretation and extrapolations tends to get pretty fuzzy. I've also deliberately made the same exact power work differently for different characters because that  is what made sense for that character.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com