Re: ICONS, Gareth-Michael Skarka and customer service

  • samaritan1975
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
      It seems fitting to post my reply here, too, with another apology for some assumptions made:

      Gareth-Michael-

      In turn, I apologize that this turn of events came down the way it did. You understand how I would believe the tweets would have been about me. It is true, your responses by e-mail were civil. Thus, my shock to see something so... counter... on Twitter in such a short span of time.

      For my part: I apologize for presuming the worst. I might humbly suggest, though, that in light of the road thus far travelled, that frustrations with customers not be aired out in public?

      As far as the causes of delays: I understand how things get away from us. From a personal stance, I just couldn't let it go anymore. I've been burned before under similar circumstances, and decided to make the clean break. I hope you realize I bear you no ill will, and hope that your endeavors are fruitful and that your difficulties ease soon.

      TL;DR: That's a hell of a man-up, Mr. Skarka. No snark: thank you.

      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Gareth-Michael Skarka <gms@...> wrote:

      > I've posted this response to Samaritan publicly on RPGnet, but I figured I should put it here as well:
      >

      > I don't participate here any longer, but a link on the ICONS mailing list brought me over.
      >
      > First off -- I want to apologize to Samaritan. I did not consider before sending out that tweet that you'd see and think I was speaking about you. To be clear, I was not. I had been hit with a half-dozen emails yesterday (about FAR WEST, not about ICONS), all of which were of the "this has been delayed, so I don't want it any more" variety. That's what I was venting about, and to be honest, I regret it --- and not only because of the fact that you mistakenly thought I was targeting you with my bitching. I think that if you compare our communication regarding your refund, you can see that I bore you ZERO ill will, expressed my disappointment in myself, and refunded your pre-order without hesitation.
      >
      > Regardless: What I said on Twitter injured you, whether you were the intended target or not, and for that I am very sorry.
      >
      > Now, as to the delays:
      >

      > There's not much I can do about BANZAI -- I'm at the mercy of the licensor's schedule here.
      >
      > But FAR WEST and ICONS TEAM-UP are solidly in my lap. The delays there are my responsibility, and I'm working my ass off to get them out the door. I want to correct one misconception: That there's movement on FAR WEST but not on TEAM-UP -- both are getting my full attention. Every day is spent on both projects.
      >
      > My communication has been awful -- it's a constant failing of mine. I haven't wanted to talk about the reasons behind the delays, because they are a combination of things which are both very personal and contractually confidential, but also because I felt that it was better for me to simply try to get them finished, rather than make excuses.
      >
      > I will come right out and say this: The delays, and the situations prompting them, have thrown me into a pretty bad depression (of which I have a history), which really came to a head yesterday (hence my blowing up on Twitter). I don't like to talk about that kind of thing, but there it is.
      >
      > I'm getting help for that.
      >
      > In the meantime -- ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval. I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens. You've all waited long enough.
      >

      > Again, Samaritan -- I apologize. And I also apologize to everyone who has been waiting. I hope that I can earn your faith again, someday.
      >

      > -Gareth-MIchael Skarka
      > Adamant Entertainment

    • Gareth-Michael Skarka
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
        Thank you.

        Now, back to work for me --- not only will that get ITU to Steve quicker, it also allows me to duck out on my embarrassment.

        -Gareth

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
          > I will come right out and say this: The delays, and the situations prompting them, have thrown me into a pretty bad depression (of which I have a history), which really came to a head yesterday (hence my blowing up on Twitter). I don't like to talk about that kind of thing, but there it is.
          >
          > I'm getting help for that.
          >
          > In the meantime -- ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval. I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens. You've all waited long enough.
          >

          > Again, Samaritan -- I apologize. And I also apologize to everyone who has been waiting. I hope that I can earn your faith again, someday.
          >

          > -Gareth-MIchael Skarka
          > Adamant Entertainment

          Gareth, get well. I know its tough, as a game writer myself, I
          understand all the craziness that can come up.

          I did not pre-order, so i don't have a dog in this fight other than
          understanding the kinds of things you go through, and face. (Deadlines,
          inspirational crashes, money flow problems, etc, etc.) I want the book,
          but I won't have money for it until MUCH later. Sadly. (I am a game
          designer, so you know by function--poor)

          Yet, I do empathize, and encourage you to take care and get a handle on
          the depression.

          -Tim
        • Gareth-Michael Skarka
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
            Thank you, Tim.

            -G

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
              as I said over on rpg.net - I applaud you for manning up and admitting to your problems.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
                As a father of children with various problems (mostly ADHD and anxiety problems) and as a person who has cohabited with Churchill's Black Dog more than once, it does take a great deal to (a) admit problems like that and (b) do something about it. So, congratulations there.

                I wish that the work stopped when you or I decided to do something about it, but it keeps going on.

                Good luck.

                as I said over on rpg.net - I applaud you for manning up and admitting to your problems.

                --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Tim K." <silverlion@...> wrote:

                > > I will come right out and say this:  The delays, and the situations prompting them, have thrown me into a pretty bad depression (of which I have a history), which really came to a head yesterday (hence my blowing up on Twitter).    I don't like to talk about that kind of thing, but there it is.
                > >
                > > I'm getting help for that.
                > >
                > > In the meantime -- ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval.  I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens.    You've all waited long enough.
                > >

                > > Again, Samaritan -- I apologize.  And I also apologize to everyone who has been waiting.  I hope that I can earn your faith again, someday.
                > >

                > > -Gareth-MIchael Skarka
                > > Adamant Entertainment
                > >

                > Gareth, get
                well. I know its tough, as a game writer myself, I
                > understand all the craziness that can come up.
                >
                >  I did not pre-order, so i don't have a dog in this fight other than
                > understanding the kinds of things you go through, and face. (Deadlines,
                > inspirational crashes, money flow problems, etc, etc.)  I want the book,
                > but I won't have money for it until MUCH later. Sadly. (I am a game
                > designer, so you know by function--poor)
                >
                > Yet, I do empathize, and encourage you to take care and get a handle on
                > the depression.
                >
                > -Tim

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional