Re: ICONS, Gareth-Michael Skarka and customer service

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "samaritan1975" <samaritan1975@...> wrote:

      > I know the delays on ITU are a verboten topic.
      >
      > This is not about that.
      >
      > This is about how Gareth handles criticism by way of a customer requesting a refund on said product. A few refunds, actually. I confess, I requested that ITU and Buckaroo Banzai be refunded via Paypal (what I had thought to be the correct step in these instances). I inquired about getting my pledge to the Far West Kickstarter refunded, but understood that was probably not going to happen due to Kickstarter's nature- I don't begrudge the man that. And I can't say he dragged his feet on refunding, as he did that right away.
      >
      > Apparently, asking for a refund in the face of piss-poor communication and numerous delays (seriously, Barenaked Ladies might could write a song about it at this point) warrants being called 'childish' and 'entitled' on Twitter yesterday. No, it wasn't by name, but the timing is suspect at the very least.
      >
      > I urge anybody on the fence about their pre-orders to read this thread, if they haven't already:
      >
      > http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?612670-ICONS-Team-Up-will-we-EVER-see-it/page9
      >
      > I further urge anybody still in love with ICONS to show Mr. Kenson and crew their support when the license changes hands.

      Im one of those who asked for a refund. (if not the first) Ive received my refund promptly. But the whole Team-ups thing was handled very poorly. I will not buy any product from that company ever again.

      I will certainly support & purchase any Icons from the new compnay that has the license though.
    • Gareth-Michael Skarka
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
        I've posted this response to Samaritan publicly on RPGnet, but I figured I should put it here as well:

        I don't participate here any longer, but a link on the ICONS mailing list brought me over.

        First off -- I want to apologize to Samaritan. I did not consider before sending out that tweet that you'd see and think I was speaking about you. To be clear, I was not. I had been hit with a half-dozen emails yesterday (about FAR WEST, not about ICONS), all of which were of the "this has been delayed, so I don't want it any more" variety. That's what I was venting about, and to be honest, I regret it --- and not only because of the fact that you mistakenly thought I was targeting you with my bitching. I think that if you compare our communication regarding your refund, you can see that I bore you ZERO ill will, expressed my disappointment in myself, and refunded your pre-order without hesitation.

        Regardless: What I said on Twitter injured you, whether you were the intended target or not, and for that I am very sorry.

        Now, as to the delays:

        There's not much I can do about BANZAI -- I'm at the mercy of the licensor's schedule here.

        But FAR WEST and ICONS TEAM-UP are solidly in my lap. The delays there are my responsibility, and I'm working my ass off to get them out the door. I want to correct one misconception: That there's movement on FAR WEST but not on TEAM-UP -- both are getting my full attention. Every day is spent on both projects.

        My communication has been awful -- it's a constant failing of mine. I haven't wanted to talk about the reasons behind the delays, because they are a combination of things which are both very personal and contractually confidential, but also because I felt that it was better for me to simply try to get them finished, rather than make excuses.

        I will come right out and say this: The delays, and the situations prompting them, have thrown me into a pretty bad depression (of which I have a history), which really came to a head yesterday (hence my blowing up on Twitter). I don't like to talk about that kind of thing, but there it is.

        I'm getting help for that.

        In the meantime -- ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval. I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens. You've all waited long enough.

        Again, Samaritan -- I apologize. And I also apologize to everyone who has been waiting. I hope that I can earn your faith again, someday.

        -Gareth-MIchael Skarka
        Adamant Entertainment
      • samaritan1975
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
          It seems fitting to post my reply here, too, with another apology for some assumptions made:

          Gareth-Michael-

          In turn, I apologize that this turn of events came down the way it did. You understand how I would believe the tweets would have been about me. It is true, your responses by e-mail were civil. Thus, my shock to see something so... counter... on Twitter in such a short span of time.

          For my part: I apologize for presuming the worst. I might humbly suggest, though, that in light of the road thus far travelled, that frustrations with customers not be aired out in public?

          As far as the causes of delays: I understand how things get away from us. From a personal stance, I just couldn't let it go anymore. I've been burned before under similar circumstances, and decided to make the clean break. I hope you realize I bear you no ill will, and hope that your endeavors are fruitful and that your difficulties ease soon.

          TL;DR: That's a hell of a man-up, Mr. Skarka. No snark: thank you.

          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Gareth-Michael Skarka <gms@...> wrote:

          > I've posted this response to Samaritan publicly on RPGnet, but I figured I should put it here as well:
          >

          > I don't participate here any longer, but a link on the ICONS mailing list brought me over.
          >
          > First off -- I want to apologize to Samaritan. I did not consider before sending out that tweet that you'd see and think I was speaking about you. To be clear, I was not. I had been hit with a half-dozen emails yesterday (about FAR WEST, not about ICONS), all of which were of the "this has been delayed, so I don't want it any more" variety. That's what I was venting about, and to be honest, I regret it --- and not only because of the fact that you mistakenly thought I was targeting you with my bitching. I think that if you compare our communication regarding your refund, you can see that I bore you ZERO ill will, expressed my disappointment in myself, and refunded your pre-order without hesitation.
          >
          > Regardless: What I said on Twitter injured you, whether you were the intended target or not, and for that I am very sorry.
          >
          > Now, as to the delays:
          >

          > There's not much I can do about BANZAI -- I'm at the mercy of the licensor's schedule here.
          >
          > But FAR WEST and ICONS TEAM-UP are solidly in my lap. The delays there are my responsibility, and I'm working my ass off to get them out the door. I want to correct one misconception: That there's movement on FAR WEST but not on TEAM-UP -- both are getting my full attention. Every day is spent on both projects.
          >
          > My communication has been awful -- it's a constant failing of mine. I haven't wanted to talk about the reasons behind the delays, because they are a combination of things which are both very personal and contractually confidential, but also because I felt that it was better for me to simply try to get them finished, rather than make excuses.
          >
          > I will come right out and say this: The delays, and the situations prompting them, have thrown me into a pretty bad depression (of which I have a history), which really came to a head yesterday (hence my blowing up on Twitter). I don't like to talk about that kind of thing, but there it is.
          >
          > I'm getting help for that.
          >
          > In the meantime -- ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval. I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens. You've all waited long enough.
          >

          > Again, Samaritan -- I apologize. And I also apologize to everyone who has been waiting. I hope that I can earn your faith again, someday.
          >

          > -Gareth-MIchael Skarka
          > Adamant Entertainment

        • Gareth-Michael Skarka
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
            Thank you.

            Now, back to work for me --- not only will that get ITU to Steve quicker, it also allows me to duck out on my embarrassment.

            -Gareth

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
              > I will come right out and say this: The delays, and the situations prompting them, have thrown me into a pretty bad depression (of which I have a history), which really came to a head yesterday (hence my blowing up on Twitter). I don't like to talk about that kind of thing, but there it is.
              >
              > I'm getting help for that.
              >
              > In the meantime -- ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval. I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens. You've all waited long enough.
              >

              > Again, Samaritan -- I apologize. And I also apologize to everyone who has been waiting. I hope that I can earn your faith again, someday.
              >

              > -Gareth-MIchael Skarka
              > Adamant Entertainment

              Gareth, get well. I know its tough, as a game writer myself, I
              understand all the craziness that can come up.

              I did not pre-order, so i don't have a dog in this fight other than
              understanding the kinds of things you go through, and face. (Deadlines,
              inspirational crashes, money flow problems, etc, etc.) I want the book,
              but I won't have money for it until MUCH later. Sadly. (I am a game
              designer, so you know by function--poor)

              Yet, I do empathize, and encourage you to take care and get a handle on
              the depression.

              -Tim
            • Gareth-Michael Skarka
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
                Thank you, Tim.

                -G

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
                  as I said over on rpg.net - I applaud you for manning up and admitting to your problems.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
                    As a father of children with various problems (mostly ADHD and anxiety problems) and as a person who has cohabited with Churchill's Black Dog more than once, it does take a great deal to (a) admit problems like that and (b) do something about it. So, congratulations there.

                    I wish that the work stopped when you or I decided to do something about it, but it keeps going on.

                    Good luck.

                    as I said over on rpg.net - I applaud you for manning up and admitting to your problems.

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Tim K." <silverlion@...> wrote:

                    > > I will come right out and say this:  The delays, and the situations prompting them, have thrown me into a pretty bad depression (of which I have a history), which really came to a head yesterday (hence my blowing up on Twitter).    I don't like to talk about that kind of thing, but there it is.
                    > >
                    > > I'm getting help for that.
                    > >
                    > > In the meantime -- ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval.  I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens.    You've all waited long enough.
                    > >

                    > > Again, Samaritan -- I apologize.  And I also apologize to everyone who has been waiting.  I hope that I can earn your faith again, someday.
                    > >

                    > > -Gareth-MIchael Skarka
                    > > Adamant Entertainment
                    > >

                    > Gareth, get
                    well. I know its tough, as a game writer myself, I
                    > understand all the craziness that can come up.
                    >
                    >  I did not pre-order, so i don't have a dog in this fight other than
                    > understanding the kinds of things you go through, and face. (Deadlines,
                    > inspirational crashes, money flow problems, etc, etc.)  I want the book,
                    > but I won't have money for it until MUCH later. Sadly. (I am a game
                    > designer, so you know by function--poor)
                    >
                    > Yet, I do empathize, and encourage you to take care and get a handle on
                    > the depression.
                    >
                    > -Tim

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional