Re: [icons-rpg] Gimmick heroes--what do you like? What have you done?

  • Michael Mendoza
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2012
      Versatility of powers is what makes a Gimmick hero especially appealing to me.

      Gadgeteers are fun because they can whip up impromptu devices to address the crisis du jour (pending GM approval and the expenditure of Determination for a power stunt, of course).

      Also, you could adopt a "Ultra-tech Entrepreneur" quality and play through subplots in which you parlay your know-how into building a  business. Enjoy the comforts, access to the influential, and other perks of being part of the 1%, but watch out for corporate takeover attempts and intellectual property theft!

      If your character acquired a gimmick rather than build it, you can play up your character's efforts to fully understand and unlock the gimmick's full capabilities. Think of the super suit in the old "Greatest American Hero" TV show, in which the main character fumbled about learning how to build his suit because he lost the manual. Spend a Determination point, and your character figures out how to unlock a hitherto-unknown power of the gimmick.

      This background can also allow you to contribute to the game world by exploring exactly who/what it was that built your character's gimmick.

      On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

      Perhaps as a result of my childhood reading habits (mostly DC Mort Weisinger or Julie Schwartz characters), I have a tendency to dismiss Gimmick characters. My brain automatically falls into the well-worn rut of "Oh, he made or stole the SuperHyperPlasmaGravityCannon(tm) from the inventor" or "She found the Amulet of Ynialliv" which leads to "Whoop-de-doo."

      And yet, Iron Man is a Gimmick hero. Green Lantern is a Gimmick hero. Batman is arguably a Gimmick hero (though probably he fits better in the Trained origin). The current Blue Beetle is definitely a Gimmick hero (probably more so than a Transformed one, anyway). Doctors Strange and Fate are arguably Gimmick heroes (sure, each knows some magic on his own, but where would they be without the Eye of Agamotto or the Helm of Nabu).  I'd count Doc Ock as Transformed rather than a Gimmick, because the tentacles can't be easily removed.

      So I think my prejudice against Gimmick heroes is unfounded. Still, having said all of that, the origin does not excite creative juices in me.

      I'm hoping more examples and ideas will help correct this tragic flaw in my character.

      I can think of:
      - Your basic Captain Cold with his cold gun
      - Eclipso has the enchanted gem (though maybe this one's better represented as a Transformed hero; it just happens to a number of people)
      - Armor, either Iron Man, Steel, Blue Beetle...I can't think of a mystic/magical example, but I'm sure it exists.
      - The magical ring or amulet that grants great powers, but the powers are gone if the item is gone
      - Arguably the Magic Word is a kind of Gimmick, so Johnny Thunder would be a Gimmick hero
      - Your alien or magical symbiont, so Venom or Carnage

      What are some interesting (even if the type is already mentioned) aspects of the character?

      (Publishers: a brief book outlining the strengths and weaknesses of each origin type would be appropriate. Just sayin'.)

      Michael Mendoza
      mmdozer@...