Re: [icons-rpg] Intro to icons?

  • Hollis McCray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010
      On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Michael Hopcroft <mhopcroft@...> wrote:

      > Hi ho. Michael Hopcroft here, part-author of HeartQuest and the Kevin &
      > Kell RPG and newly examining Icons. I thought I'd find a list (and I'm
      > also joining the wiki if they'll have me) to explore the game a little
      > bit and try my hand at modeling characters.
      >
      > A large part of the fun I have with supers games is figuring out how to
      > handle various characters and the tropes associated with them.
      > Stretching the boundaries of the system in terms of charatcer creation
      > and play is nice too. I'm looking to start an online game once I figure
      > out how, but I'd like a little background and grounding in the system
      > before I do.
      >
      > Finally, I'm wondering about licensing the system for other purposes if
      > that's feasible, but that's for another day.

      There is a third-party licensing program for ICONS, see
      http://www.adamantentertainment.com/?page_id=149

      Hope it helps.
      --
      Hollis McCray
      aka The Fifth Wanderer

      ascensionschild@...

      "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
      LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere
    • Michael Hopcroft
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2010
        On 6/7/2010 9:28 PM, Mike Olson wrote:

        You should check out the wiki: http://icons- truth-justice- and-gaming. wikispaces. com/. It has some character write-ups to use as a guide.

        Just signed up for that as well (you need a sign-in to post).

        The mechanics of the system are pretty simple. Roll d6-d6, add an Ability Level, and compare that to a target number. The greater your margin of success, the better your result (although it isn't a straight MoS = points of effect thing). In combat, damage is based on Strength or Power Level, and there's a hit point element called Stamina that determines when you drop. That said, it's possible to take someone out in one hit without nickel-and-diming their Stamina. Specialties provide a rudimentary skill system, and grant a +1 to +3 bonus to rolls for relevant tasks. Characters have sorta-FATE-style aspects to reflect their Qualities and Challenges; Challenges earn you Determination points when they create problems for you, and you spend that Determination to tag your Qualities to make you more effective. The fewer Powers you have, the more Determination you start with.

        I've written for FUDGE, so these concepts are quite familiar to me. Taking out the descriptive verbiage in favor of numbers is fitting for the supers genre, though.

        Random character generation is the default, under which Ability Levels, Powers, and Power Levels, and number of Specialties are randomly determined. There's a point-buy option, too. I imagine you'll be more interested in that.

        One thing I try to do every so often is work out the character concept and see how it fits when points are not an issue. It's the only way to put a character like Superman, Thor or Goku into Icons.

        Looking forward to what you come up with!

        I've posted one character to RPGNet and regretted it almost instantly. I got no feedback to what is clearly a highly flawed writeup. For one thing, I couldn't think of nearly enough Qualities that match the personality I'd mapped out for her. For another, I'm not sure the Abilities came out right. Finally, I'm not sure one of the principal powers I chose for her works the way I think it does. Is there a Writeup-Doctor in the house?