Weapons Damage

  • stinger902003
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 22, 2012
      Is there a chart or list with the weapons damage? I want to make an archer character ala Green Arrow or Hawkeye, but I can't find any info on bows.
    • Icosahedrophilia
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 22, 2012
        On Oct 22, 2012, at 8:18 PM, stinger902003 <stinger_90@...> wrote:

        Is there a chart or list with the weapons damage? I want to make an archer character ala Green Arrow or Hawkeye, but I can't find any info on bows.

        No, you set the damage level by using a power.

        For the Ninja stock character (ICONS, p. 117), a shuriken is essentially Blast 2 (shooting damage), and other stock characters have pistols at Blast 4 (shooting). So for a standard pointy-tipped arrow, you might go with Blast 3 (shooting) or Blast 4 (shooting). But since your archer-hero is probably using trick arrows, s/he might have a boxing glove arrow with Blast 5 (blasting), an arrow tipped with an adamantium serrated point for Blast 5 (shooting), an arrow that discharges a net or goo for Binding 5, a flash-bang arrow with Blinding 5 (bonus: also deafens), etc.

        Wizardry (Gadgets) Device might be the best way to model a quiver full of trick arrows, especially if the character is known for having just the right arrow at just the right time.

        Chris

        Chris Heard
        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
        http://drchris.me/d20

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 22, 2012
          Not in the core rules in one place, but here's a list I compiled:

          Knife (slashing damage 3)
          Handgun (shooting damage 3-4)
          Sword (slashing damage 4)
          Throwing Stars (shooting damage 2)
          Sidearm (shooting damage 4)
          Tonfa/Billy Club (bashing damage 4)
          Rifle (shooting damage 5)
          Makeshift Weapons (good for bashing or slashing damage 3–4)

          Treat these as ball park figures. For example, I usually assign a Colt .45 Semi-Automatic Pistol a damage of 5.

          jaerdaph

          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "stinger902003" <stinger_90@...> wrote:

          > Is there a chart or list with the weapons damage? I want to make an archer character ala Green Arrow or Hawkeye, but I can't find any info on bows.

        • Mark Widner
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
            Forgive me if it is already there but have we considered putting up a 'weapons' chart on the wiki?
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
              Here's an example where I used
              Blast 5 (Shooting) - Colt .45 Semi-Automatic Pistol

              The Woman in Red:
              http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2012/09/golden-age-throwbacks-woman-in-red.html

              Miss Masque:
              http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2012/05/golden-age-throwbacks-miss-masque.html

              jaerdaph

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                I think there's also a Machine Gun: Blast 6 (shooting) in the main rules somewhere. Ah: page 89, under Benchmarks, it says, "A damage level of 3 to 4 is about that of a hand gun, 5 to 6 a heavy weapon like a machine gun or  chain gun, and 7 or more a military weapon like a missile or torpedo."

                All of which should be tempered by common sense: there are some very small torpedoes, for instance, which are probably in the 4 or 5 range, as well as the heavier ones, and (depending on how you define ballistic damage) a Colt or a Desert Eagle or some other heavy handgun might count as a 5.

                Here, have an ill-thought-out idea I just came up with:

                If you feel like rolling extra dice, have an exploding die mechanic for hand weapons to simulate damage and placement: top roll gets a second roll, so any weapon can double its damage.

                A billy club is 1d2; a sword or light/medium handgun is 1d3; a heavy handgun is 1d4. So if you roll a 4, it does 4 plus whatever is on the second roll: it could do as high as 8, which would reduce most non-hero people to dying. Any weapon that normally does 6 or more doesn't get a die, because it can already kill a normal instantly. This is instead of Strength+1 for Strike.

                Blast 5 (Shooting) - Colt .45 Semi-Automatic Pistol

                The Woman in Red:
                http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2012/09/golden-age-throwbacks-woman-in-red.html

                Miss Masque:
                http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2012/05/golden-age-throwbacks-miss-masque.html

                jaerdaph

                --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "jaerdaph" <jjbardales@...> wrote:

                > Not in the core rules in one place, but here's a list I compiled:
                >
                > Knife (slashing damage 3)
                > Handgun (shooting damage 3-4)
                > Sword (slashing damage 4)
                > Throwing Stars (shooting damage 2)
                > Sidearm (shooting damage 4)
                > Tonfa/Billy Club (bashing damage 4)
                > Rifle (shooting damage 5)
                > Makeshift Weapons (good for bashing or slashing damage 3–4)
                >
                > Treat these as ball park figures. For example, I usually assign a Colt .45 Semi-Automatic Pistol a damage of 5.
                >
                > jaerdaph
                >
                > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "stinger902003" <stinger_90@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is there a chart or list with the weapons damage?  I want to make an archer character ala Green Arrow or Hawkeye, but I can't find any info on bows.

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                  --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:
                  > Wizardry (Gadgets) Device might be the best way to model a quiver full of trick arrows, especially if the character is known for having just the right arrow at just the right time.

                  This. With Wizardry, you can then spend a Determination point to stunt a new arrow based on a different power.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                    The important thing to remember here is that if a character is going to frequently use a weapon it should always count as a power in terms of point cost (if applicable) and starting determination.

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jjbardales@...
                    Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 05:35:01 +0000

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                      Ah, I knew I'd seen a machine gun somewhere. Thanks, John!

                      Here's the weapon I gave Catacombs Mafia boss Dominick Marinelli in the upcoming Stark City campaign setting:

                      Blast Device 4 (Shooting) - Beretta 92FS

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                        Little Augie Ceasar's Tommy Gun ("Sins of the Past" and Villainmicon) though only has a rating of Blast 4.

                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                        From: jjbardales@...
                        Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:31:14 +0000

                        Ah, I knew I'd seen a machine gun somewhere. Thanks, John!

                        Here's the weapon I gave Catacombs Mafia boss Dominick Marinelli in the upcoming Stark City campaign setting:

                        Blast Device 4 (Shooting) - Beretta 92FS

                        > I think there's also a Machine Gun: Blast 6 (shooting) in the main rules somewhere. Ah: page 89, under Benchmarks, it says, "A damage level of 3 to 4 is about that of a hand gun, 5 to 6 a heavy weapon like a machine gun or  chain gun, and 7 or more a military weapon like a missile or torpedo."
                        >
                        > All of which should be tempered by common sense: there are some very small torpedoes, for instance, which are probably in the 4 or 5 range, as well as the heavier ones, and (depending on how you define ballistic damage) a Colt or a Desert Eagle or some other heavy handgun might count as a 5.
                        >
                        > Here, have an ill-thought-out idea I just came up with:
                        >
                        > If you feel like rolling extra dice, have an exploding die mechanic for hand weapons to simulate damage and placement: top roll gets a second roll, so any weapon can double its damage.
                        >
                        > A billy club is 1d2; a sword or light/medium handgun is 1d3; a heavy handgun is 1d4. So if you roll a 4, it does 4 plus whatever is on the second roll: it could do as high as 8, which would reduce most non-hero people to dying. Any weapon that normally does 6 or more doesn't get a die, because it can already kill a normal instantly. This is instead of Strength+1 for Strike.
                        >

                        > John McMullen (Searching for a .sig)
                        > jhmcmullen@...
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Theron Bretz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                          That was strictly based on my best guess, FWIW. There was no unified editorial vision or guidelines for the Adamant authors. To my knowledge, we were winging it.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jjbardales@...
                          Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:31:14 +0000

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                            Or maybe, he is a small chimp  so he has a small tommy gun :-)

                            More to the point, exact ranking and benchmarks are not in my mind what ICONS is about. For me a regular unnamed goon, security guard or cop should do around 3 or 4 points damage - it doesn't really matter if he's wielding a .38 pistol, a shotgun or some generic blaster. A named NPCs, where appropriate, should do more damage, the exact nature of the weapon they use is just colour.

                            The same applies to characters. Your Blast 8 power could be a classic colt .45 Peacemaker if that is what is right for your character. Nor will calling your Blast 2 power a bazooka make it any more powerful.

                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                            From: jjbardales@...
                            Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:31:14 +0000

                            Ah, I knew I'd seen a machine gun somewhere. Thanks, John!

                            Here's the weapon I gave Catacombs Mafia boss Dominick Marinelli in the upcoming Stark City campaign setting:

                            Blast Device 4 (Shooting) - Beretta 92FS

                            > I think there's also a Machine Gun: Blast 6 (shooting) in the main rules somewhere. Ah: page 89, under Benchmarks, it says, "A damage level of 3 to 4 is about that of a hand gun, 5 to 6 a heavy weapon like a machine gun or  chain gun, and 7 or more a military weapon like a missile or torpedo."
                            >
                            > All of which should be tempered by common sense: there are some very small torpedoes, for instance, which are probably in the 4 or 5 range, as well as the heavier ones, and (depending on how you define ballistic damage) a Colt or a Desert Eagle or some other heavy handgun might count as a 5.
                            >
                            > Here, have an ill-thought-out idea I just came up with:
                            >
                            > If you feel like rolling extra dice, have an exploding die mechanic for hand weapons to simulate damage and placement: top roll gets a second roll, so any weapon can double its damage.
                            >
                            > A billy club is 1d2; a sword or light/medium handgun is 1d3; a heavy handgun is 1d4. So if you roll a 4, it does 4 plus whatever is on the second roll: it could do as high as 8, which would reduce most non-hero people to dying. Any weapon that normally does 6 or more doesn't get a die, because it can already kill a normal instantly. This is instead of Strength+1 for Strike.
                            >

                            > John McMullen (Searching for a .sig)
                            > jhmcmullen@...
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Seamus
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                              Another important point is the relative skill of the wielder. A skilled shooter might be able to shoot at a Blast 6, while someone with no aptitude might only do Blast 2.

                              It reminds me of how in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Captain Amaerica's shield is rated higher than Wolverine's claws. It's not that the shield is stronger than the claws (it's clearly not), but that Captain America is just better at throwing it around than Wolverine is when he's wildly swinging about.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
                                When I got home tonight, I updated the ICONS Benchmarks document I use for my own games (based on the ICONS core rules and Dr. Axiom's Benchmarks at the ICONS Truth, Justice and Gaming Wiki). Here's the relevant section:

                                Weapons and Damage

                                Damage Types:
                                Bashing (Strike)
                                Slashing (Strike)
                                Shooting (Blast)
                                *Blasting (Blast)

                                Damage by Weapon Type:
                                Knife (slashing damage 3)
                                **Arrow (shooting damage 3)
                                Handgun (shooting damage 3-4)
                                Machine Gun (shooting damage 5)
                                **Grenade (shooting damage 5)
                                **Concussion Grenade (blasting damage 5)
                                Chain Gun (shooting damage 6)
                                Military Torpedo or Missile (shooting damage 7+)
                                Sword (slashing damage 4)
                                Throwing Stars (shooting damage 2)
                                Sidearm (shooting damage 4)
                                Tonfa/Billy Club (bashing damage 4)
                                Rifle (shooting damage 5)
                                Makeshift Weapons (good for bashing or slashing damage 3–4)

                                Weapon Specialties:
                                Blades - all sharp and pointed melee weapons
                                Bludgeons - all blunt melee weapons
                                Bows (including crossbows) - ranged weapons
                                Guns (and all other self-powered ranged weapons) - ranged weapons
                                Throwing

                                * Added this from the core rules to account for weapons that would do nonlethal damage (at least in ICONS), like a concussion grenade.
                                ** These weapons are not in the core rules but added by me based on discussion here today.