Rules Clarification: Ability Boost

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
      Main question:

      If you choose to up either Strength or Willpower, does your Stamina go up during the period the ability is boosted? And if it is, does your Stamina go down during the recovery period?

      I can see arguments either way---maybe not, because it's too much book keeping; maybe so, because it makes sense (and if losing the boosted Stamina puts you unconscious, well, you fought the good fight).

      I think that in my games I'm going to declare that the GM decides: if the player wants the additional book keeping, well, okay, but it's the GM's decision. But I didn't see it addressed in my (old) version of the Clarification Notes, nor in the rulebook. (And I can't get it from work.)

      (Which makes me think about a character with a kind of healing, defined as Alteration Ray (Ability Boost: Stamina)--he can bring back the unconscious for that number of pages, perhaps as a kind of mind control. Bringing back the dead would be the optional power Summoning or maybe Wizardry with a limitation Challenge.)

      Second question:

      I was doing a character on one of the fonts that is verboten for the Font of Heroes challenge (Papyrus) and I came up with Origami Girl, who has Alternate Form 8: she transforms into a kind of paper golem (she doesn't get the Strength bonus, but she can be, well, paper-thin and can fold herself into useful shapes, and then do what that shape could). Does that seem like an innovative use of Alternate Form or a kind of rules abuse? The line can be thin.

      John McMullen (Feeling like it's been a wasted life so far...and not nearly as fun as it should have been)
      jhmcmullen@...
    • stevekenson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
        On Oct 19, 2012, at 8:39 AM, John McMullen wrote:
        If you choose to up either Strength or Willpower, does your Stamina go up during the period the ability is boosted? And if it is, does your Stamina go down during the recovery period?

        I haven't had Ability Boost modify Stamina in my own games, mainly due to the bookkeeping you cite, but I can certainly see an argument for it.

        I came up with Origami Girl, who has Alternate Form 8: she transforms into a kind of paper golem (she doesn't get the Strength bonus, but she can be, well, paper-thin and can fold herself into useful shapes, and then do what that shape could). Does that seem like an innovative use of Alternate Form or a kind of rules abuse?

        Sounds pretty innovative and not at all abusive to me!
        _____
        Steve Kenson
        stevekenson@...
        www.stevekenson.com

      • Cameron Mount
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
          For question 1 - I can't find any official declaration either way, but as you said it could go either way.

          For question 2 - That sounds like a great way to use the power, and I think it's completely innovative.

          GAH - Ninjaed by the creator as I was typing this!