Re: [icons-rpg] Big News Regarding the Future of ICONS on Steve's Blog

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
      Thank you for the information Gareth.

      I think it must have been tough for you lately--you've had all sorts of personal problems and four people's worth of work and a one-and-a-bit person shop. But thank you for this, and thank you for taking a chance on ICONS at the very beginning, and supporting it. I wish you nothing but the best.

      And this gets all the questioners to start pestering Steve. :)

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
        So what about the Team Up book I already paid for?

        Sent from Samsung Mobile
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
          Ok. Good. I'm looking forward to more ICONS in the future.

          Sent from Samsung Mobile
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
            Gareth just answered that, but I suspect lag in internet delivery.

            Adamant will fulfill all the preorders for Team-Up (including you and me) and then hand it over to Ad Infinitum.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
              Wow! Congratulations, Steve, and good luck at the ICONS helm!

              And thank you too, Gareth, for introducing the world to ICONS and your stewardship over the last two years!

              Best,
              Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "dirkgentry2000" <dirkgentry2000@...> wrote:

              > check it out:
              >
              > http://stephen.kenson.home.comcast.net/~stephen.kenson/Steve_Kenson/Blog/Entries/2012/9/5_The_Future_of_ICONS.html

            • Cameron Mount
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 5, 2012
                Congratulations, Steve. I think (hope) this is a good move for both you and Adamant/Gareth.

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
                  Idle musing....

                  I think one of the best things that Gareth did for ICONS was to put out scads of adventures. Even if, say, I'm not crazy about an adventure by John Post (sorry, John), maybe I'll like the one by Theron Bretz. The use of that adventure seed and an implied setting worked very well for me.

                  Although ICONS can be used for campaign play (and I've done it), I've also used it as a quick pickup game, and the ability to do that (and to show off parts of the rules I misinterpreted) was in large part due to the adventures.

                  I know they are a drain on a publisher's time, but I hope they continue, even at the level of The Retcon Quest, which did not have quite the same look as the Adamant adventures. (And it shouldn't have; it was not an Adamant adventure; all I'm saying is that I'm okay with a reduced design and layout esthetic.)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
                    I totally agree. I'm normally "just get the core book" kind of gamer, but the ICONS adventure Adamant release were, generally, really good, just the right size and oh so pretty I began to look forward to collecting them all. I even preodered the ill-fated print adventure omnibus.

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                    Congratulations, Steve. I think (hope) this is a good move for both you and Adamant/Gareth.

                    On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM, jaerdaph <jjbardales@...> wrote:

                    Wow! Congratulations, Steve, and good luck at the ICONS helm!

                    And thank you too, Gareth, for introducing the world to ICONS and your stewardship over the last two years!

                    Best,
                    Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "dirkgentry2000" <dirkgentry2000@...> wrote:

                    > check it out:
                    >
                    > http://stephen.kenson.home.comcast.net/~stephen.kenson/Steve_Kenson/Blog/Entries/2012/9/5_The_Future_of_ICONS.html

                  • Icosahedrophilia
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
                      Dear friends,

                      On Sep 7, 2012, at 12:33 PM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

                      I think one of the best things that Gareth did for ICONS was to put out scads of adventures.

                      I agree with that 100%.

                      I know they are a drain on a publisher's time, but I hope they continue, even at the level of The Retcon Quest, which did not have quite the same look as the Adamant adventures. (And it shouldn't have; it was not an Adamant adventure; all I'm saying is that I'm okay with a reduced design and layout esthetic.)

                      The “ICONS Compatible” license actually prohibits a 3PP’s materials from looking too much like Adamant’s ICONS trade dress. I would love to see the trade dress go Ad Infinitum along with the rest of the game, to preserve a consistent look and feel.

                      Chris

                      Chris Heard
                      Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                      http://drchris.me/d20
                      ><>

                    • Gareth-Michael Skarka
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
                        Poking my head up from finishing up TEAM UP layout to add:

                        The “ICONS Compatible” license actually prohibits a 3PP’s materials from looking too much like Adamant’s ICONS trade dress. I would love to see the trade dress go Ad Infinitum along with the rest of the game, to preserve a consistent look and feel.

                        All of the original trade dress graphics, layout files, etc. are now in the possession of Ad Infinitum -- as per Steve's request, so I'd assume that he intends to carry forward the trade dress.

                        ...which means that Adamant needs to find some NEW trade dress to use for our forthcoming work as an "ICONS Compatible" licensee....

                        But that's a tale for another time.    :)

                        -Gareth

                      • Mark Gedak