Re: [icons-rpg] Batting around a campaign idea: young heroes

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
      Heavens, it wouldn't be much of a fuss: I had you in mind as one of the people overseas from me.

      Sorry that Saturday night isn't good for you. Is there a time that is?

      From: jhmcmullen@...
      Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:00:08 -0700

      I'll repeat: I've scheduled running a thing on Roll20 for Sept 22. I have had zero responses so far, which might indicate a lack of interest.

      Let me know if you're interested and it's just a bad time for you; currently I have no problem rescheduling it, because there's no one to object.

      From: jhmcmullen@...
      Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 04:56:50 -0700

      The list has been quiet, what with Gen Con and the return to school and everyone waiting for Team-Up. So I had an idea this morning and I'm curious what the repercussions would be.

      The idea is this: Superpowers show up at puberty, ramp up for a year or two, and then start declining over the next six or seven years until they're gone. So: They come in at puberty, peak soon, and by 19-21 are gone.

      How does that affect things? Let's assume that the powers are fairly common: one kid in 100,00: Pittsburgh has a few, my home town of Kitchener-Waterloo has one or two.

      What does that do to the balance of power? Heck, how do you maintain order over them in the most volatile time of their lives?

      Depending on the reason (I have no idea what the reason is, yet), there might be a mysterious figure who has kept powers well into his or her twenties or thirties (or even a Cabal of superpowered adults who don't fight crime, they take care of superpowered teenagers).

      From a worldbuilding perspective, there are two ways to go: a cabal of adults who still have powers, or two or fewer. I want maximum damage..er, entertainment value...so I'll say there's a two-adult limit on powers (even one good, one bad).

      From a game perspective, what would you do mechanically? Aspects specified? Power levels can vary, of course.

    • Icosahedrophilia
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
        2–5 PM EDT = 9 AM–2 PM PDT, which is fine for me on that date. I’d need to be offline by 4 PM PDT = 7 PM EDT. I think you can count me in if it goes ahead on that schedule. If it shifts by an hour either way, no big deal. If it shifts to a different day, I'll try to come along for the ride but I'll have to re-check.

        Chris

        Chris Heard
        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
        http://drchris.me/d20

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
          Sunday evenings (early afternoon for you) are usually pretty quiet for me.

          But frankly you'll probably have more luck getting a full complement of players if you stick to mid-week evening and focus on North American players. I've been here before, scheduling online events is massively difficult. You'll need ever edge you can get.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: jhmcmullen@...
          Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:29:42 -0700

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: jhmcmullen@...
          Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:00:08 -0700

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
            All right, Chris. I'll mark you down. (And everyone is tentative at this point: I know that things can come up between now and September 22.)

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
              I'd love to play online but my days are strange. Thanks to dog's needing
              dog park visits, and other gaming I'm trying to do.
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                That sounds awesome. I really wish I could join in (I've been dying to try Roll20 out) but I've got a show that day. Hopefully next time I'll be free.

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
                  Given that Chris is the only one who has shown availability (not interest: I didn't say interest), I am probably going to reschedule for a week night in the hopes that it does better. However, my week nights are pretty full, so I'll have to find one.

                  Unless, of course, one or two others say, gosh, we'll be there. While running ICONS is awesome and I have done it for a single player, wrestling with an unfamiliar website is probably not worth a single player.

                  It's close--very close--so I might not reschedule. But I probably am.

                  All right, Chris. I'll mark you down. (And everyone is tentative at this point: I know that things can come up between now and September 22.)

                  2–5 PM EDT = 9 AM–2 PM PDT, which is fine for me on that date. I’d need to be offline by 4 PM PDT = 7 PM EDT. I think you can count me in if it goes ahead on that schedule. If it shifts by an hour either way, no big deal. If it shifts to a different day, I'll try to come along for the ride but I'll have to re-check.

                  Chris

                  Chris Heard
                  Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                  http://drchris.me/d20
                  ><>

                • Ryan G.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                    Ah ha! I missed this one first time around (and it appears I'm not the only one). I think I can do September 22, 12 – 5 EST (is that correct?).

                    I'd love to give it a go!

                    —Ryan G.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                      Excellent! For two people, I'll brave the waters of Roll20.

                      Say, a character on the Monday beforehand? Then I can throw in some stuff that's specific to your Challenges, and it gives time for any player to be late.

                      Random roll or 45-point build; just tell me which.

                      Ah ha! I missed this one first time around (and it appears I'm not the only one). I think I can do September 22, 12 – 5 EST (is that correct?).

                      I'd love to give it a go!

                      —Ryan G.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional