Re: Batting around a campaign idea: young heroes

  • Steve Kenson
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
      See Timothy Zahn's novel "A Coming of Age" for just this concept: children with telekinetic powers that fade with the onset of adolescence until they're gone by adulthood. Some concepts that might apply to the "super-teen" setting include:

      • Adult "Fagans" who organize and run gangs (or cults) of young, impressionable supers.
      • Special schools (ala Xavier's or Sky High) for training and containing young supers.
      • "Upperclassmen" charged with keeping younger super-peers in-line and teaching them discipline.
      • Unscrupulous governments, corporations, and individuals recruiting and exploiting young supers, along with many seeking political asylum from homelands where they face exploitation or persecution.
      • A spike in depression and related problems for young supers in transition. College-age can be hard enough without going from super-powered celebrity to relatively powerless has-been.
      • Legal issues surrounding the fact that 99% of supers are minors. Is letting them fight crime or handle disaster relief child endangerment? Should super-criminals be tried as adults? The very fact that they're not legal adults might be why supers wear masks and conceal their identities.
      • Kids being kids: dealing with school-age drama, personal relationships, etc. Everything is magnified for an adolescent, so much more so when they have powers!

      Game system and character creation wise you can play around with a random age-category roll (for early-, mid-, and late-development, say ages 11-13, 14-16, and 17-19, or just roll d6+12 for random age). Aspects may include interpersonal relationships and related teen Challenges.

      Lots of fun possibilities and potential!
      _____
      Steve Kenson
      stevekenson@...
      www.stevekenson.com

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012

        Yes, altering the rank of powers with age makes sense. You might need to look at the raw traits too because things like Strength 7 are a effectively a superpower too.

        The other thing that strikes me, from a more setting point of view, is that if you know you are going to lose your powers you'll probably want to maintain a secret identity.

        Also, part of the reason why I'm not posting much is that's it's been a slow Summer roleplaying-wise and since my Icons campaign ended I've not the chance to play Icons at all. My gaming should pick up now though it will be a while before it my turn to GM again.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        From: jhmcmullen@...
        Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 04:56:50 -0700
        Subject: [icons-rpg] Batting around a campaign idea: young heroes

        The list has been quiet, what with Gen Con and the return to school and everyone waiting for Team-Up. So I had an idea this morning and I'm curious what the repercussions would be.

        The idea is this: Superpowers show up at puberty, ramp up for a year or two, and then start declining over the next six or seven years until they're gone. So: They come in at puberty, peak soon, and by 19-21 are gone.

        How does that affect things? Let's assume that the powers are fairly common: one kid in 100,00: Pittsburgh has a few, my home town of Kitchener-Waterloo has one or two.

        What does that do to the balance of power? Heck, how do you maintain order over them in the most volatile time of their lives?

        Depending on the reason (I have no idea what the reason is, yet), there might be a mysterious figure who has kept powers well into his or her twenties or thirties (or even a Cabal of superpowered adults who don't fight crime, they take care of superpowered teenagers).

        From a worldbuilding perspective, there are two ways to go: a cabal of adults who still have powers, or two or fewer. I want maximum damage..er, entertainment value...so I'll say there's a two-adult limit on powers (even one good, one bad).

        From a game perspective, what would you do mechanically? Aspects specified? Power levels can vary, of course.

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
          Hmmm. I hadn't thought of the secret identity angle.

          If I wanted to make age-related losses random, I'd have them roll age on a table. This can be adjusted by age--perhaps someone wants a character who hits puberty at 11 instead of 13, but the assumption is that the "normal" range is 13-21. Depending on the character's attributes, the character might change things depending on age. (You can also just let them roll, be whatever age they want, and say that at puberty they were vastly more powerful, though the GM should keep an eye on 20-year-olds with a power at level 9.)

          1: puberty (nominally 13) Any levels of anything
          2: puberty+2 (15)  Any levels of anything, powers max at 7
          3: puberty+3 (16) Attributes max at 9, powers at 6
          4: puberty+4 (17) Attributes max at 8, powers max at 5
          5: puberty+5 (18) Attributes max at 7, powers at 4
          6: puberty+6 (19): Maximum of +1 over 6, or powers at 3

          Adult characters could have the origins Unearthly, Artificial, Trained, or Gimmick in this setting ("Yeah, I got the psi-helmet from a kid. What happened to him? Well, he grew up....")

          Secret ID would be mandatory in most countries, though in some countries the child might be drafted and made to donate their gifts to the state.

          I like the idea of Fagins. I also like someone who had power and whose existence is trying to get it back, either as raw superpower or in a more prosaic way.

          I imagine the following Fagin groups who try to "collect" children who show up with power:

          1. Government - they might be using the kids as tools or not.
          2. Private school - it might be an empowerment scheme or just a way to have them learn to (a) handle their powers and (b) learn to live without them afterward. This is the Professor Xavier model.
          3. Criminal group - An impressionable kid with superpowers is a really useful thing to have around.
          4. Unfagined - kids who have banded together for their own protection, and who probably don't trust any adults, even including their parents. (There's a story arc for you: have to hide your powers from your parents or they'll sell you out, because it's every child's duty to work for the government.)
          5. Corporate - kids might be minors, but if you can guarantee their schooling in the form of scholarships or something, you can probably get them to do stuff for you, so long as you can prove it's not slavery or endangerment.

          Some of the kids will blow the whole secret ID thing, not necessarily of their own doing.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
            I'll repeat: I've scheduled running a thing on Roll20 for Sept 22. I have had zero responses so far, which might indicate a lack of interest.

            Let me know if you're interested and it's just a bad time for you; currently I have no problem rescheduling it, because there's no one to object.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
              On Sep 5, 2012, at 9:00 AM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:
              I'll repeat: I've scheduled running a thing on Roll20 for Sept 22. I have had zero responses so far, which might indicate a lack of interest.

              Sorry … I must have missed the original announcement. What sort of thing?

              Chris

              Chris Heard
              Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
              http://drchris.me/d20

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                Well, if you missed it, it's likely that others did, too.

                So, I'm trying to plan ahead. On Sept 22 (a Saturday afternoon for me), I'm going to run a variant Gangbusters on Roll20. If you're interested and able to attend, I'd love to have characters by Monday before. Characters are either roll up or 45 points: tell me which, but I'll generally trust you unless you do something terribly egregious.

                The variation is that the Storm Agency has already been successful in Stark City, so this is an attempt at forming a franchise in another city. I do ask that characters have a reason to be joining such a franchise, whether they are new or established heroes.

                If I get interest, then I'll figure out what the name of the city is.

                I'll repeat: I've scheduled running a thing on Roll20 for Sept 22. I have had zero responses so far, which might indicate a lack of interest.

                Sorry … I must have missed the original announcement. What sort of thing?

                Chris

                Chris Heard
                Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                http://drchris.me/d20
                ><>

              • Icosahedrophilia
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                  Sounds cool. I would love to be involved, but I need to check the family schedule with my wife before I commit. I'll let you know …

                  On Sep 5, 2012, at 10:59 AM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:
                  So, I'm trying to plan ahead. On Sept 22 (a Saturday afternoon for me), I'm going to run a variant Gangbusters on Roll20. If you're interested and able to attend, I'd love to have characters by Monday before. Characters are either roll up or 45 points: tell me which, but I'll generally trust you unless you do something terribly egregious.

                  Chris Heard
                  Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                  http://drchris.me/d20
                  ><>

                • Icosahedrophilia
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                    John, do you have a specific time in mind? It turns out I do have a family commitment for a block of time in the afternoon, PDT.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                      Well, I was trying to accommodate British and European members as well, so I was thinking 2-5 p.m. EDT, but at this early stage, I could certainly juggle it a bit, to 12-3, 1-4, or 2-5. I don't want it to go over 3 hours: we all have busy lives.

                      If it works well, I'l do it again. If it works poorly and the reason seems to be my Internet connection, I'll try something else, like Skype or another tabletop system. (If it works poorly and the reason seems to be me, well, I will retool myself before trying again. :)  )

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                        I saw your post John but Saturday evening is not a good time for me and I didn't want to kick a fuss.

                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                        From: jhmcmullen@...
                        Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:00:08 -0700

                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                          You can count me as interested but unavailable as well. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are almost always bad for me. But if you end up going to a weekday evening on this or subsequent sessions, I should be able to juggle.

                          --
                          Gus Gosselin
                          Sent with Sparrow

                          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jhmcmullen@...
                          Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:00:08 -0700

                          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                            Heavens, it wouldn't be much of a fuss: I had you in mind as one of the people overseas from me.

                            Sorry that Saturday night isn't good for you. Is there a time that is?

                            I saw your post John but Saturday evening is not a good time for me and I didn't want to kick a fuss.

                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                            From: jhmcmullen@...
                            Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:00:08 -0700

                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                              2–5 PM EDT = 9 AM–2 PM PDT, which is fine for me on that date. I’d need to be offline by 4 PM PDT = 7 PM EDT. I think you can count me in if it goes ahead on that schedule. If it shifts by an hour either way, no big deal. If it shifts to a different day, I'll try to come along for the ride but I'll have to re-check.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                                Sunday evenings (early afternoon for you) are usually pretty quiet for me.

                                But frankly you'll probably have more luck getting a full complement of players if you stick to mid-week evening and focus on North American players. I've been here before, scheduling online events is massively difficult. You'll need ever edge you can get.

                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                From: jhmcmullen@...
                                Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:29:42 -0700

                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                From: jhmcmullen@...
                                Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:00:08 -0700

                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                                  All right, Chris. I'll mark you down. (And everyone is tentative at this point: I know that things can come up between now and September 22.)

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                                    I'd love to play online but my days are strange. Thanks to dog's needing
                                    dog park visits, and other gaming I'm trying to do.
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 5, 2012
                                      That sounds awesome. I really wish I could join in (I've been dying to try Roll20 out) but I've got a show that day. Hopefully next time I'll be free.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
                                        Given that Chris is the only one who has shown availability (not interest: I didn't say interest), I am probably going to reschedule for a week night in the hopes that it does better. However, my week nights are pretty full, so I'll have to find one.

                                        Unless, of course, one or two others say, gosh, we'll be there. While running ICONS is awesome and I have done it for a single player, wrestling with an unfamiliar website is probably not worth a single player.

                                        It's close--very close--so I might not reschedule. But I probably am.

                                        All right, Chris. I'll mark you down. (And everyone is tentative at this point: I know that things can come up between now and September 22.)

                                        2–5 PM EDT = 9 AM–2 PM PDT, which is fine for me on that date. I’d need to be offline by 4 PM PDT = 7 PM EDT. I think you can count me in if it goes ahead on that schedule. If it shifts by an hour either way, no big deal. If it shifts to a different day, I'll try to come along for the ride but I'll have to re-check.

                                        Chris

                                        Chris Heard
                                        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                                        http://drchris.me/d20
                                        ><>

                                      • Ryan G.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                                          Ah ha! I missed this one first time around (and it appears I'm not the only one). I think I can do September 22, 12 – 5 EST (is that correct?).

                                          I'd love to give it a go!

                                          —Ryan G.
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                                            Excellent! For two people, I'll brave the waters of Roll20.

                                            Say, a character on the Monday beforehand? Then I can throw in some stuff that's specific to your Challenges, and it gives time for any player to be late.

                                            Random roll or 45-point build; just tell me which.

                                            Ah ha! I missed this one first time around (and it appears I'm not the only one). I think I can do September 22, 12 – 5 EST (is that correct?).

                                            I'd love to give it a go!

                                            —Ryan G.

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                                Individual Email | Traditional