Re: [icons-rpg] Modeling multipowers

  • Icosahedrophilia
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
      Alter Ego? That's the way I've worked it so far. I'm actually trying to model a guy with four faces, who has a different power set depending on which face is "forward."

      On Aug 9, 2012, at 11:22 AM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:
      To my mind, using the other ID power (what is it called, again?) would be more of a cheat ("Six guys who share the same brain but have one difference: Which ability Boost they have!")

      Chris Heard
      Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

    • Cameron Mount
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
        Alter-ego. I considered making that as a suggestion, but it really seemed a bit too much like a cheat.

        I think, in general, that ICONS goes the opposite way from Champions and M&M. Because points-buy is the standard there, points-shaving becomes the system mastery element (much like feat and class selection is for D&D). Since points are allocated essentially flat across the board in ICONS, it seems to me that looking for ways to shave points in a build is looking at the game through the wrong lens.

        On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

        You wouldn't get a price break, but I'd consider either using Wizardry or possibly Elemental Control, if the GM is kind. So, for instance, something like EC: Ability boost (Challenge: Only one power set at a time).

[...]

          http://drchris.me/d20
          <><

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
              icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          .

        • Icosahedrophilia
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
            Points aren't really the issue so much as modeling the character in a way that's easily portable between GMs. For example, suppose I go to a con where I play in two different bring-your-own-hero ICONS games with two completely different GMs. I'd like for both GMs to be able to say "Yes" to the same character, even if one is a strict rules purist and the other is wide open. Okay, in reality, if I play ICONS at my local con, it's more likely that I'd be the GM. That notwithstanding, I'm just plain curious about how other folks would try this.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
              I would just use a variant of Wizardry at the normal x2 power cost, but you could opt to select four powers rather than two in exchange for giving up the ability to spend Determination to stunt other powers. You could still spend additional power slots to buy other bonus powers under Wizardry at character creation - remember, one of the benefits of Wizardry is that you can select powers - even powers that normally cost two power slots outside of Wizardry - for the cost of only one slot per power at character creation.

              jaerdaph

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
                On Aug 9, 2012, at 11:27 AM, Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...> wrote:

                Alter-Ego would be a way to do it, if you're not looking for saving points. There's a DC villain, called Trinity, which has different powers according to which face she is wearing, too.

                So would the following be the optimal way to use this technique? Let's call Trinity's faces A, B, and C. Trinity A has two instances of Alter-Ego (Trinity B and Trinity C, both of whom have one less power than Trinity A). Trinity A can change into Trinity B or Trinity C, but Trinity B can't change into Trinity C directly (nor the other way around); they have to go through Trinity A.

                Another way to do it would be serial: Trinity A has n powers, of which one is Alter-Ego (Trinity B). Trinity B has n-1 powers, one of which is Alter-Ego (Trinity C). Trinity C has n-2 powers, and none of them are Alter-Ego. So Trinity A can change into B, B can revert to A or change to C, and C can revert to B.

                This gets more complicated the more faces you add … erp!

                Chris Heard
                Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

              • Fabrício César Franco

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
                    Depends on what you're modeling, because there are really a couple of cases that Champions multipowers model (and M&M arrays can do the same thing).

                    The first is the Ultraboy case, where you can have any of a set of powers, you just can't have them all at once. Because the powers are so well-defined and so limited, I'd probably use Wizardry and a limitation in this case. In this case, Jo has Wizardry and a set of powers (er, besides the ones from the flight ring) and the limitation "One At A Time, Switching Takes A Panel, Only Powers From List."

                    The second is the case where you have a pool of points where you can assign them to any of the powers, but the sum of these abilities can't be higher than the size of the pool. (Ultra slots, in Champions terms.) Again, I'd probably use Wizardry and a limitation. She's got Wizardry 10, so the sum of powers that can be created with Wizardry is 10: she can have Flight 5, Force Field 3, Blast 2, or Flight 8, Force Field 2, Blast 0, or Flight 0, Force Field 3, Blast 7, or whatever.

                    The third which I remember from Champions is where using multipowers to model split personality or divided characters: slot 1 is all the powers that apply to one personality, slot 2 is another personality, and so on. In that case,and if there were few personalities (three is probably the practical limit), I might try Alter Ego. The fact that each character has fewer powers and the switching is a big turn-off for me in this case, and having to go from personality C through A to get to B is also a problem.

                    If the personality (and hence the Specialities and Aspects) don't change, there's really less reason to go for Alter Ego.

                    (And I think point costs would matter a bit if it's a bring-your-own game, though I have no experience.)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
                      I have converted Ultra-Boy, from Legion of Super Heroes, in my blog, if you all want to take a look:  http://eidolonicon.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/ultra-boy.html

                      Fabrício