Re: [icons-rpg] Re: Alas, no ICONS Team-Up Yet

  • Icosahedrophilia
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2012
      On Aug 1, 2012, at 4:29 PM, "B.C. Wendel" <BCKixAzz@...> wrote:

      I kinda feel like we were forced into pre-ordering it back in March, and now five months later there is no release in sight. I'm pretty sure we'll get it someday, but it seems like in the RPG industry there is always somebody with a personal problem or family sickness that always makes stuff come out late - except for Wizards of the Coast, they seem to be more timely/professional that the rest.

      Not to start an argument, but … "forced" how? Since there was certainly no physical compulsion, the only "pressure" would have been the time window. If that's what you mean, then Adamant might score some PR points in the future by keeping pre-orders open until a definite release date is available.

      Comparing Adamant to Wizards of the Coast isn't fair. Wizards has a big staff and the corporate resources of Hasbro behind them, and a product schedule that runs 18 months or so in advance of publication dates—and they, too, cancel, delay, and reschedule products from time to time. The D&D Virtual Tabletop comes to mind; it was touted in the run-up to 4e, advertised in the 4e core rulebooks, and then … it never got out of beta and has now officially been shelved. At least three of their 2012 products were delayed by significant margins. My own current project (a scholarly book, unrelated to gaming) is already ten months past due and not looking good. Stuff happens.

      Somewhere deep in my amygdala, I want ICONS TEAM-UP yesterday. Fortunately, I also have a cerebrum, so my better cognitive angel wants ICONS TEAM-UP when the product is done, and done well. And as a compassionate human being, I mostly want for Gareth's family to get through their medical issues with minimal suffering, inconvenience, and expense.

      Chris Heard
      Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
      ><>
    • B.C. Wendel
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2012
        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Tim K." <silverlion@...> wrote:

        > Personally, I'll take a game a little late, and have the person's whose
        > work I respect in my hands and know that I've treated them humanly as
        > people.

        I didn't realize I was being inhuman. Or an Inhuman.

        Obviously I don't wish any ill health on anyone - I just want to know why we get told one thing, then something else, then something else. We were told the PDF was coming out in a couple weeks back in April - what has taken it so long? I pre-ordered the book because I want to support this game and company - but after a while, these delays and endless excuses get old. Has the family sickness caused the 4 months of delays?

        Some people would just give up on this game altogether - I'm not going to do that, but these delays can't be good for business, and I want them to be as successful as they can be.
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2012
          No, you are being reasonable. I'm tired of delay after delay. I wont preorder from them again.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2012
            > I didn't realize I was being inhuman. Or an Inhuman.
            >
            > Obviously I don't wish any ill health on anyone - I just want to know why we get told one thing, then something else, then something else. We were told the PDF was coming out in a couple weeks back in April - what has taken it so long? I pre-ordered the book because I want to support this game and company - but after a while, these delays and endless excuses get old. Has the family sickness caused the 4 months of delays?
            >
            > Some people would just give up on this game altogether - I'm not going to do that, but these delays can't be good for business, and I want them to be as successful as they can be.

            I did not mean to imply you were inhuman, forgive me. I meant that I was
            treating them as human beings, as people with lives, and all the issues
            it brings, which are not controllable.

            I know of one game designer who recently lost his son, and that's a
            tragedy. I know such a thing would impact me greatly if I had children.

            I don't know what's going on with GMS and his fates or fortunes beyond
            what he has said here. Yet I'd like to call for a reasonable approach to
            the situation.

            Since I stand by my words here is something I'd like to encourage all
            game purchasers:

            "Please don't treat game designers like Pez dispensers" -Tim Kirk,
            Silverlion Studios.
          • B.C. Wendel
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2012
              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Tim K." <silverlion@...> wrote:

              > I did not mean to imply you were inhuman, forgive me. I meant that I was
              > treating them as human beings, as people with lives, and all the issues
              > it brings, which are not controllable.

              That's cool - I was just kidding. I realize what I wrote came off as a little jerky - and I wish the best of luck to GMS and his family - but then again I looked through this place and found all this, and realized my frustration is understandable.

              SEP 14 2011 - Still on schedule for November, yes.

              DEC 09 2011 -The PDF will be available (and sent to pre-order customers and the printer)before Christmas.

              MAR 12 2012 - By the end of March.

              APR 20 2012 - I'm expecting to deliver PDFs in no more than two weeks

              MAY 22 2012 - It will be out in June.

              JUL 17 2012 - Yes, TEAM-UP appeared in a list of projects that I'll have done by the end of August.However, it will be the first of them that will be completed -- in the next week or so. You won't have to wait until August.

              I mean, come on, man! Get it together! :) I hope you guys enjoyed this trip down memory lane.