Installing Java and Character Folio on a Flash Drive

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2012
      I'm not allowed to install anything on the computer that I use for work. They don't have Java installed on their machines. I'm allowed to do my own stuff with a flash drive (so long as I'm willing to submit to occasional checks for security: if they want to see that I've written 200 words during my lunch break, great).

      Anyway, this poses a problem when running Java applications. I've managed (I think) install the java runtime on a flash drive (which has a different drive letter depending on whether I'm at home or at work, just to make things more complicated).

      But installing the Character Folio on the same drive doesn't seem to work. (I have Windows XP at work, Windows 7 at home).

      It would be nice if all I had to do was double-click something, whether it's an icon for a .bat file or a .lnk file. Any suggestions? Should I have installed different software for the Java stuff (that is, does anyone have a shell that automatically adds the correct directory to the Path or whatever?).

      Basically, I have tried it myself, and failed. Suggestions on how it can be done successfully?

      Thanks.