Re: [icons-rpg] So...draft of What do you do with ICONS?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
      Thank you, all.

      Joe, I've updated the document to include those links, and I added a brief discussion of aspects and how they differ a bit from FATE aspects. I hope I'll have a text version out in a couple of days.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
        (Just catching up with non-work email, finally)

        John, this is really well done.  A fair bit of it can be used to explain supers games in general.  Nice work!

        Theron
        Houston

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
          Thank you.

          Yeah, I knew a lot of it was going to be generic for supers, but the question "What can I do with ICONS?" is probably one that hints at relatively little knowledge about the genre.

          There's more specific stuff somewhere, like "Why ICONS instead of Supers/BASH/M&M/Marvel Heroic Roleplaying/Golden Heroes/DC/4C?" and that one's tougher for me to aproach because I only know, um, four of the ones I just listed. I wouldn't mind (as I think I've suggested to James Dawsey for one of his blog posts) an article that talks about how the different games fit different sensibilities.

          For myself, I can say that I prefer ICONS to M&M--and I play both--because it has a looser approach. There's a lot of flexibility hidden in the aspects, and though there aren't as many fine-tuning options for the powers, most of the limitations on powers can be taken as Challenges.* There's a lot of flexibility there without a lot of brain sweat, which (as I get older) I appreciate.

          [*] In fact, my house rule is that you can take any advantage you can think of for a power as a stunt: the level of the power is one less (that is, a rank 7 power blast is rank 6 area) and pay a Determination Point the first 10 times you use it; after that, it's free. (One point of starting determination makes it the same rank as the power normally is: rank 7 in the example above.)