Launching a new ICONS campaign

  • Icosahedrophilia
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
      Dear friends,

      My sons and I recently started a new ICONS campaign. So far, my 14-year-old, Nathan, has been the GM, and all of our sessions have taken place in the car, during our long annual cross-country drive. ICONS is a fantastic RPG for road trips, by the way! At any rate, our primary heroes are employees of the Department of Justice's National Super-Heroics Bureau (NSHB) and sometimes cooperate with UNISON, the United Nations International Superhuman Operations Network.

      The story my son is spinning goes something like this: across the globe, there have been strange incidents of inexplicable nation-on-nation violence. In the third such incident, but the first to involve our characters (the others had been hushed up), the Mexican army began an invasion of the U.S., across the Texas border. My character broke away from the fighting to try to reason with one of the Mexican superheroes, and found out that the orders came straight from the Mexican president. After a few pages of fighting, new orders came down to stop the invasion. Subsequent investigations revealed the same pattern in all three incidents. Suspecting mind control, we used UNISON to put the global superhero community on alert, and were then able to prevent a fourth incident involving Germany. Coordinating with my character by phone, German superheroes defused that fourth incident and somehow tracked the miscreant to a base in Antarctica. Now we're forming a UNISON strike force to go investigate … next issue, I guess!

      If you're interested in such things, you can read about my primary character at http://drchris.me/d20/?p=2214.

      Also, if any of you have advice for a 14-year-old and an 8-year-old about how to design and run superhero adventures, now's a great time to share! I have the random superhero adventure generator published by Adamant in Modern Dispatch #66 some years ago, and I plan to share it with my 8-year-old, who really wants to GM but, well, is 8 years old. :-)

      Chris

      P.S. We use the point buy system, but apply the adjustments from origin, so effectively we're running 47–48 point heroes.

      Chris Heard
      Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
      http://drchris.me/d20
    • mama_mame
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
        Hey Chris!

        I'm Dan Houser, Line Artist for ICONS. I just gotta say, whenever I hear about kids playing the game I get extremely enthusiastic. :) There's a chart in the main ICONS book just before the sample adventure that allows for simple adventure creation. If you're looking for campaign tools for ICONS -- well, there are a few resources you will be able to use -- some arch-nemesis rules in Villainomicon, and there will be an announcement soon regarding some specific tools for building your own ICONS universe. :)

        Also, picking up a few ICONS modules might not be a bad idea. Most are designed for pick-up-and-play, but if you want a connected series of modules, my Phalanx set of four modules (the second is being written/edited right now) are a continuing storyline -- or stand alone modules. :)

        I love the characters, and if you and your kids are interested, there are still slots available in Hero Pack 4! :)

        Thanks for playing and all the best to your kids,

        Dan Houser
        Line Artist, ICONS

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
          And Chris? I very much like the writeup you've done for General Welfare, including the hints to players and gamemasters. It's something I'd like to see others emulate. (It might be in Hero Packs 2 and 3; I don't have those.)

> [...]

          > If you're interested in such things, you can read about my primary character at http://drchris.me/d20/?p=2214.
          >
          > Also, if any of you have advice for a 14-year-old and an 8-year-old about how to design and run superhero adventures, now's a great time to share! I have the random superhero adventure generator published by Adamant in
          Modern Dispatch #66 some years ago, and I plan to share it with my 8-year-old, who really wants to GM but, well, is 8 years old. :-)

          > Chris
          >
          > P.S. We use the point buy system, but apply the adjustments from origin, so effectively we're running 47–48 point heroes.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
              icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Icosahedrophilia
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
            On Jul 3, 2012, at 12:28 PM, John McMullen wrote:

            And Chris? I very much like the writeup you've done for General Welfare, including the hints to players and gamemasters. It's something I'd like to see others emulate. (It might be in Hero Packs 2 and 3; I don't have those.)

            Thanks, John. I mainly did that for my kids, since they want to GM but don't have much experience at it. Glad you like it!

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
              On Jul 3, 2012, at 12:02 PM, mama_mame wrote:

              I'm Dan Houser, Line Artist for ICONS. I just gotta say, whenever I hear about kids playing the game I get extremely enthusiastic. :) There's a chart in the main ICONS book just before the sample adventure that allows for simple adventure creation.

              Thanks for reminding me of that chart, Dan! I like the four-point "outline" given there. The key for me is going to be teaching my 8-year-old how to GM without him feeling overwhelmed. I brought up the idea of him running a published adventure, but he really, really wants to make up his own, so I'm just going to try to enable and support that desire. I'll save the published adventures for myself, to save me some time. :-)

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012
                If it helps, you can use these simple charts to extend the two in the ICONS rulebook.

                Opponent
                D6
                1 One villain
                2-4 Villain group
                5 Natural force
                6 Hero

                BUT (Complication)
                D6
                1 While heroes are in secret ID and can't act
                2 Wannabe heroes attack
                3 Target claims it's okay
                4 Someone steals something important to the plan (ransom money, invention, clue)
                5 Character's significant person (loved one, mentor, etc) has conflicting plan for them at just this time
                6 Necessary action is something the character has promised not to do

                So you end up with a sentence like this:

                If no idea comes to you in a minute, roll again. (It can be hard figuring out why a natural disaster would be ransoming a celebrity, but the hero group has promised not to dig, so you might need to re-roll the opponent or the complication. The complication doesn't have to apply to the whole adventure, it can be only for a scene.

                Adding those two is a direct consequence of me having read two of Gareth's adventure generators years ago, and it's totally optional to do so. (As it should be, because I just made it up.)

                When you do it this way, you roll first, then apply the villain, where in Steve's method, you get the villain in mind first. Both are good.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2012
                  Another hero from our home campaign, for those of you interested in such:

                  http://drchris.me/d20/?p=2240

                  Chris Heard
                  Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                • Fabrício César Franco
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2012
                    Chris,

                    Nice job, again. I like the way you guide likely GMs and players into the character's mood.

                    If I only could have that Silver Age font, my write-ups would be awesome!

                    Fabrício Franco
                    Eidolons!
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6, 2012
                      Very nice! I also like General Welfare too. I hope you plan on doing some more ICONS characters on your blog - your son Nicholas too!

                      jaerdaph

                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:

                      > Another hero from our home campaign, for those of you interested in such:
                      >
                      > http://drchris.me/d20/?p=2240
                      >
                      > Chris Heard
                      > Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                      > http://drchris.me/d20