Re: [icons-rpg] So...draft of What do you do with ICONS?

  • Cameron Mount
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
      I agree with Chris and jaerdaph. This is an excellent document.

      On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:
      On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:01 PM, jaerdaph wrote:
      > This is really great, John. I think you've hit all the main points …

      I completely agree. Thanks for all the effort you put into this document, John!

      Chris

      Chris Heard
      Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
      http://drchris.me/d20

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
          icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Fabrício César Franco
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
        A fourth voice to add cumpliments to you, John.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
          Thank you, all.

          Joe, I've updated the document to include those links, and I added a brief discussion of aspects and how they differ a bit from FATE aspects. I hope I'll have a text version out in a couple of days.

          A fourth voice to add cumpliments to you, John.

          2012/7/2 Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...>

          I agree with Chris and jaerdaph. This is an excellent document.

          On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:
          On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:01 PM, jaerdaph wrote:
          > This is really great, John. I think you've hit all the main points …

          I completely agree. Thanks for all the effort you put into this document, John!

          Chris

          Chris Heard
          Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
          http://drchris.me/d20

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
              icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Theron Bretz
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
            (Just catching up with non-work email, finally)

            John, this is really well done.  A fair bit of it can be used to explain supers games in general.  Nice work!

            Theron
            Houston

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
              Thank you.

              Yeah, I knew a lot of it was going to be generic for supers, but the question "What can I do with ICONS?" is probably one that hints at relatively little knowledge about the genre.

              There's more specific stuff somewhere, like "Why ICONS instead of Supers/BASH/M&M/Marvel Heroic Roleplaying/Golden Heroes/DC/4C?" and that one's tougher for me to aproach because I only know, um, four of the ones I just listed. I wouldn't mind (as I think I've suggested to James Dawsey for one of his blog posts) an article that talks about how the different games fit different sensibilities.

              For myself, I can say that I prefer ICONS to M&M--and I play both--because it has a looser approach. There's a lot of flexibility hidden in the aspects, and though there aren't as many fine-tuning options for the powers, most of the limitations on powers can be taken as Challenges.* There's a lot of flexibility there without a lot of brain sweat, which (as I get older) I appreciate.

              [*] In fact, my house rule is that you can take any advantage you can think of for a power as a stunt: the level of the power is one less (that is, a rank 7 power blast is rank 6 area) and pay a Determination Point the first 10 times you use it; after that, it's free. (One point of starting determination makes it the same rank as the power normally is: rank 7 in the example above.)