So...draft of What do you do with ICONS?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2012
      I've uploaded a draft of the (reasonably complete) document, and I'd love to have feedback I can incorporate.

      There will be a text-only version suitable for reposting elsewhere.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
        This is really great, John. I think you've hit all the main points and provided ample evidence as to what ICONS does well and why someone should choose to play ICONS. One thing I would consider adding are direct links to some of Steve Kenson's Wiki contributions of alternate rules:

        Success Pyramid:
        http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Success+Pyramid

        Dice Variants:
        http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Dice+Variant

        Stamina Variants:
        http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Stamina+Variants

        Damage Variants:
        http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Damage+Variants

        Determination Variants:
        http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Determination+Variants

        Maneuvers:
        http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Maneuvers

        ICONS Example of Play:
        http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/ICONS+Example+of+Play

        This document is going to be a good thing to have and point people to who have questions about ICONS. One thing I really like about ICONS fans is that they take the time to discuss the game with people who have questions as opposed to fans of other systems that just like to offer up "X is the best" and very little else. There's a thread over at RPGNet right now that has a lot of that going on:

        http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?634265-I-am-looking-for-a-supers-RPG

        John, I think this might be a great place to introduce this document to the world, especially since it goes into some discussion on how ICONS handles the relationships between characters in the game as the OP specifically mentioned as a requirement.

        Well done, sir! :)

        > I've uploaded a draft of the (reasonably complete) document, and I'd love to have feedback I can incorporate.
        >

        > There will be a text-only version suitable for reposting elsewhere.
        >

        > John McMullen (Searching for a .sig)
        > jhmcmullen@...

      • Icosahedrophilia
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
          On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:01 PM, jaerdaph wrote:
          > This is really great, John. I think you've hit all the main points …

          I completely agree. Thanks for all the effort you put into this document, John!

          Chris

          Chris Heard
          Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
          http://drchris.me/d20
        • Cameron Mount
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
            I agree with Chris and jaerdaph. This is an excellent document.

            On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:
            On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:01 PM, jaerdaph wrote:
            > This is really great, John. I think you've hit all the main points …

            I completely agree. Thanks for all the effort you put into this document, John!

            Chris

            Chris Heard
            Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
            http://drchris.me/d20

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Fabrício César Franco
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
              A fourth voice to add cumpliments to you, John.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
                Thank you, all.

                Joe, I've updated the document to include those links, and I added a brief discussion of aspects and how they differ a bit from FATE aspects. I hope I'll have a text version out in a couple of days.

                A fourth voice to add cumpliments to you, John.

                2012/7/2 Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...>

                I agree with Chris and jaerdaph. This is an excellent document.

                On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:
                On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:01 PM, jaerdaph wrote:
                > This is really great, John. I think you've hit all the main points …

                I completely agree. Thanks for all the effort you put into this document, John!

                Chris

                Chris Heard
                Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
                http://drchris.me/d20

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Theron Bretz
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
                  (Just catching up with non-work email, finally)

                  John, this is really well done.  A fair bit of it can be used to explain supers games in general.  Nice work!

                  Theron
                  Houston

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
                    Thank you.

                    Yeah, I knew a lot of it was going to be generic for supers, but the question "What can I do with ICONS?" is probably one that hints at relatively little knowledge about the genre.

                    There's more specific stuff somewhere, like "Why ICONS instead of Supers/BASH/M&M/Marvel Heroic Roleplaying/Golden Heroes/DC/4C?" and that one's tougher for me to aproach because I only know, um, four of the ones I just listed. I wouldn't mind (as I think I've suggested to James Dawsey for one of his blog posts) an article that talks about how the different games fit different sensibilities.

                    For myself, I can say that I prefer ICONS to M&M--and I play both--because it has a looser approach. There's a lot of flexibility hidden in the aspects, and though there aren't as many fine-tuning options for the powers, most of the limitations on powers can be taken as Challenges.* There's a lot of flexibility there without a lot of brain sweat, which (as I get older) I appreciate.

                    [*] In fact, my house rule is that you can take any advantage you can think of for a power as a stunt: the level of the power is one less (that is, a rank 7 power blast is rank 6 area) and pay a Determination Point the first 10 times you use it; after that, it's free. (One point of starting determination makes it the same rank as the power normally is: rank 7 in the example above.)