a success margin of 0

  • wee_ree_cat
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2012
      Hey guys !

      I'm certain I've read about a rule concerning the times when the player ends up with a margin of 0. As in, he ended up matching a Difficulty of 7 with a 7.

      It was called "Marginal Success" or something, and the effects were really not as good as having a margin of at least 1.

      Does someone know what i'm talking about ? I'd really like to test this during our game this saturday.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2012

        A margin of success of 0 to 2 is a Moderate success. Normally that is enough to pass a test.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2012
          On Jun 13, 2012, at 3:36 AM, "wee_ree_cat" wee_ree_cat@... wrote:
          I'm certain I've read about a rule concerning the times when the player ends up with a margin of 0. As in, he ended up matching a Difficulty of 7 with a 7.

          It was called "Marginal Success" or something, and the effects were really not as good as having a margin of at least 1.

          I wrote such an option for ICONS Team-Up (called "Minimal Success"), but I'm not sure where else you might have seen it. Here's the text of the write-up:

          Icons recognizes three possible sucessful outcomes: moderate, major, and massive (Icons, p. 7). This option adds in a fourth, the minimal success.

          In this case, an effect of exactly 0 results in a minimal outcome, which might be described as “successful, but...” or “you don’t quite make it, but...” A minimal success is just that: the bare minimum to not be considered a failure. If a hero is leaping the span between two buildings, a moderate success means clearing the distance and landing on the opposite side, maybe wobbling a moment before regaining balance. A minimal success means grabbing the ledge on the opposite side and having to pull yourself up in your next panel! Minimal success makes effect 0 more of an “edge” outcome, right on the border between success and failure, and evens out the distribution of outcomes so moderate is 1–2, major 3–4, and massive is 5 or more.

          Also at the GM’s option, a minimal success may be considered a “failure” when it comes to determined effort, that is, a hero who has only achieved a minimal success on a task which allows for multiple attempts may use determined effort on a follow-up attempt.

          _____
          Steve Kenson
          stevekenson@...
          www.stevekenson.com

        • wee_ree_cat
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2012
            Thank you Steve !

            And after checking, I read it on your blog. It was mentioned in a small paragraph in the entry about alternate damages ; thank you a LOT for the full write-up !