Re: Justice Wheels 3 released for ICONS

  • Walt
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 12, 2012
      Love the Chase rules and Bluejay is very cool
      Regards,
      Walt

    • emu2020@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 12, 2012

        So, out of everything that has been released for ICONs, what all of it has introduced new rules or systems into the game?

        I'm trying to assemble a very minimal list of purchases for the game, focusing on what releases will expand on the game as a whole.

        I really am not too interested in new characters and such, though if they come in the books with new rules, no worries.

        -Eli

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 12, 2012

          Apologies for not properly cutting the original text. I was in reading it when the question occured and hit reply rather than starting from scratch.

          -Eli

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 12, 2012
            If you are going for minimalist than all you really need is the main rule book. Although there are numerous optional and variant rules in the Villainomicon , Adamant have kindly included these in the free preview pdf which you can get from RPGNow.

            Also make sure you check out the Icons wiki ( http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Rules  ) for further rules options (official and not) and for the Clarification Notes document. These resources pretty much contain all you need.

            I'd still suggest getting the Character Folio application as well as being able to create characters at the flick of a button (both as pregens or for NPCs) is a huge time saver for the GM and a great source of inspiration.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 12, 2012
              The chase rules are indeed awesome - there's even rules for letting characters with movement powers join in the chase. I also really like the included new Vehicle power that gives you your own super-vehicle and extensive notes so you build and customize it as desired. I like how a vehicle's Strength becomes it's towing/lifting capacity and Stamina is not only its structural integrity ("hit points") but can be used like armor or a shield (kind of like Invulnerability) by the vehicle occupants to absorb damage. Normally in ICONS core rules, an object's Strength alone is its Stamina, but with vehicle customization you can move points around and have a higher (or lower) Stamina if you want. It's really quite clever and well thought out.

              Best,
              jaerdaph
              JUST ADD HEROES
              An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales
              http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com

              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Walt" <kroh01@...> wrote:

              > Love the Chase rules and Bluejay is very cool
              > Regards,
              > Walt
              >
              > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "dirkgentry2000" <dirkgentry2000@> wrote:
              > >
              > > http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103087/Justice-Wheels-%233-Buejay
              > >
              > > the latest issue of Justice Wheels is out for ICONS.
              > >
              > > It features Bluejay - a high-flying costumed vigilante who battles criminals from his airship, the Golden Eagle.
              > >
              > > Character concept and art by Adrian Smith. This pdf contains paper miniatures of the character and vehicle as well a character write-up (with hero and villain options) and ICONS stats.
              > >
              > > Each issue of Justice Wheels also include new vehicle and chase rules - written by Daniel Gallant, with consultation from Steve Kenson.
              > >
              > > Available now -just $1.50!
              > >
              > > http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103087/Justice-Wheels-%233-Buejay

            • Sean Abel
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012

                Has the Character Folio been updated with any of the new material. I have version 1.1.1 and have been hoping that an update or something would have come out by now.

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                Love the Chase rules and Bluejay is very cool
                Regards,
                Walt

                --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "dirkgentry2000" <dirkgentry2000@...> wrote:

                > http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103087/Justice-Wheels-%233-Buejay
                >
                > the latest issue of Justice Wheels is out for ICONS.
                >
                > It features Bluejay - a high-flying costumed vigilante who battles criminals from his airship, the Golden Eagle.
                >
                > Character concept and art by Adrian Smith. This pdf contains paper miniatures of the character and vehicle as well a character write-up (with hero and villain options) and ICONS stats.
                >
                > Each issue of Justice Wheels also include new vehicle and chase rules - written by Daniel Gallant, with consultation from Steve Kenson.
                >
                > Available now -just $1.50!
                >
                > http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103087/Justice-Wheels-%233-Buejay

                No virus found in this message.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                  The Folio has the optional rules from Villainomicon.

                  I'm actually writing some Field Guide fan-fiction (trying to get back in the writing groove) so I can tell you that the first three volumes of that have some suggested rules and a specialty. (Which reminds me, I have to ask Jason Tondro a question.)

                  The Justice Wheels books have suggested vehicle rules.

                  I think one of the Improbable Adventures has a suggested new power but I'll have to check.

                  John

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                    The Field Guide to Superheroes Volume 2 includes a new specialty called Nature, but it is essentially a combined version of the Animals and Nature specialties found in the Villainomicon (which came out later).

                    I recently wrote an article on my blog that lists all the new powers from third party publishers (essentially Vigilance Press), and I give suggestions for what type of power they can be classified as (Control, Movement, Sensory etc.) as well as what power they can be substituted for when rolling up characters randomly. You can easily use the guidelines there for the Super-Vehicle power to apply to the new Vehicle power from Fainting Goat Games in Justice Wheels.

                    http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2012/04/rethinking-powers-powers-from-vigilance.html

                    Best,

                    > The Folio has the optional rules from Villainomicon.
                    >
                    > I'm actually writing some Field Guide fan-fiction (trying to get back in the writing groove) so I can tell you that the first three volumes of that have some suggested rules and a specialty. (Which reminds me, I have to ask Jason Tondro a question.)
                    >
                    > The Justice Wheels books have suggested vehicle rules.
                    >
                    > I think one of the Improbable Adventures has a suggested new power but I'll have to check.
                    >
                    > John
                    >

                    > On 2012-06-14, at 8:52 AM, "Sean Abel" <SABEL@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Has the Character Folio been updated with any of the new material. I have version 1.1.1 and have been hoping that an update or something would have come out by now.

                  • Fabrício César Franco
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                      And following the footsteps of jaerdaph, on my blog I started discussing new specialties and powers too, with suggestions on how to apply them in your games.

                      By the way, how would you, fellow members of this list, classify the following comic book characters' powers:
                      • Marvel Comics' Speedball: just Leaping? specific Force Field? totally new Speedball Force?
                      • Marvel Comics' Taskmaster: Power Duplication limited to Coordination? totally new Reflex Memory?
                      • Marvel Comics' Cypher: enhanced Intellect limited to Language? totally new Linguistics?
                      • Marvel Comics' Marrow: Extra Body Parts' Carapace? specific Blast? totally new Bone Growth?
                      • Marvel Comics' Collective Man and New Universe PsiHawk: totally new Gestalt?
                      • Marvel Comics' Avalanche: Earth Control limited to quakes? totally new Earthquake?
                      • Marvel Comics' 2099 Krystallin: totally new Crystal Control?
                      Fabrício
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                        I think it has been mentioned elsewhere, but it would be nice (after Team-Up comes out) to have a new random character generation system that doesn't do substitution, it just includes everything as possibilities--both Teleportation and Transit are on it, for instance.

                        It would have to be restricted to only Adamant products, of course, because one could go mad otherwise. (But then we could ask Dan Gallant to add a toggle for substituted versus non-substituted versions to the Folio.)

                        The Field Guide to Superheroes Volume 2 includes a new specialty called Nature, but it is essentially a combined version of the Animals and Nature specialties found in the Villainomicon (which came out later).

                        I recently wrote an article on my blog that lists all the new powers from third party publishers (essentially Vigilance Press), and I give suggestions for what type of power they can be classified as (Control, Movement, Sensory etc.) as well as what power they can be substituted for when rolling up characters randomly. You can easily use the guidelines there for the Super-Vehicle power to apply to the new Vehicle power from Fainting Goat Games in Justice Wheels.

                        http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2012/04/rethinking-powers-powers-from-vigilance.html

                        Best,

                        > The Folio has the optional rules from Villainomicon.
                        >
                        > I'm actually writing some Field Guide fan-fiction (trying to get back in the writing groove) so I can tell you that the first three volumes of that have some suggested rules and a specialty. (Which reminds me, I have to ask Jason Tondro a question.)
                        >
                        > The Justice Wheels books have suggested vehicle rules.
                        >
                        > I think one of the Improbable Adventures has a suggested new power but I'll have to check.
                        >
                        > John
                        >

                        > On 2012-06-14, at 8:52 AM, "Sean Abel" <SABEL@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Has the Character Folio been updated with any of the new material. I have version 1.1.1 and have been hoping that an update or something would have come out by now.

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                          Just to add:

                          Not to diss what we've already got: just want to make clear that I think what we have is already a fantabulous deal, and Adamant (in the sense of both Gareth and Steve) has gone well beyond what they had to do.

                          But as long as I'm wishing....

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                            Man, do I feel out of touch. I've only even heard of the first two, and couldn't tell you why Speedball isn't a standard speedster.

                            Not on your list, but I suddenly thought of the LSH's Bouncing Boy: and I'd probably define that as leaping, but he can substitute his ranks of "leaping" for his Strength in determining the damage of an attack. (I briefly considered using the Fast Attack Chart for ranks of Leaping and number of ricochets, but that doesn't really model the comics; it might model how many people he can attack at once, though.)

                            Sorry I can't help.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                              John,

                              I should have included Bouncing Boy, but he was more clearly defined, in my point of view, concerning his powers; Speedball has that strange field around him, which some authors have defined as Kinetic Field Control (a form of Telekinesis, could we say?).

                              Fabrício

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                I think you're excluding a lot of quality work if you exclude third party publishers.

                                But, I'm biased :)

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                  Heck, if I wanted to do the work, I'd do everybody I'd heard of. (Uh--that sounded wrong, but you know what I mean.)

                                  But if I'm suggesting that Gareth or Steve do the work in his non-existent free time? I'm happy to provide a limitation. :)

                                  John

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                    Ideally, I'd love to see the next iteration of the Character Folio allow you to add your own powers in, like you can do with Aspects and Specialties now. :)