Re: [icons-rpg] Monte Cook on Logic in RPGs

  • Fabrício César Franco
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2012
      I read it and it made perfect sense. When I started reading, I felt a little guilty because I always want the rules (powers and specialties, mostly) all spelled out, to avoid much debate while playing. But it's not that focus what the article is about, it's broader and my inquiries (and additions to the rules, so far) seem completely acceptable.

      Fabrício

      2012/6/7 jaerdaph <jjbardales@...>

      This recent blog post by Monte Cook on game design got me thinking a lot about how ICONS follows this design philosophy of GM logic as opposed to having a tightly written rules set that covers every single possible outcome:

      http://montecook.livejournal.com/254395.html

      Anyhow, it's a nice look at the benefits and possible pitfalls of having a looser rules set (as opposed to 4e D&D or even Pathfinder/3.5e D&D where everything is spelled out and every contingency is covered) and how this can lead to greater GM and player freedom.

      Anyhow, it's definitely worth a read.