Re: [icons-rpg] Re: Golden Age Superman

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2012
      It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):

      Superman
      Clark Kent/Kal El

      Prowess 6
      Coordination 6
      Strength 8
      Intellect 5
      Awareness 6
      Willpower 6

      Stamina 14
      Determination 1

      Specialties
      Athletics
      Wrestling

      Powers
      Leaping 4
      Invulnerability 6
      Super-Speed 3
      Transformation 4 (Only particular type of shape) - Facial Re-arrangement
      Supersenses 2 (Enhanced Hearing, Extended Vision)

      Qualities
      Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way
      Epithet : Last Son of Krypton
      Connections : Lois Lane

      Challenges
      Weakness : Kryptonite
      Enemy : Lex Luthor
      Enemy : Ultra Humanite

      Point Total 58
      Last modified 5/2/12

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2012
        Nice! I especially like the props paid to Ultra-Humanite.

        jaerdaph

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Gerry <urbwarzine@...> wrote:

        > It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):
        >

        > Superman
        > Clark Kent/Kal El
        >

        > Prowess 6
        > Coordination 6
        > Strength 8
        > Intellect 5
        > Awareness 6
        > Willpower 6
        >
        > Stamina 14
        > Determination 1
        >
        > Specialties
        > Athletics
        > Wrestling
        >
        > Powers
        > Leaping 4
        > Invulnerability 6
        > Super-Speed 3
        > Transformation 4 (Only particular type of shape) - Facial Re-arrangement
        > Supersenses 2 (Enhanced Hearing, Extended Vision)
        >
        > Qualities
        > Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way
        > Epithet : Last Son of Krypton
        > Connections : Lois Lane
        >
        > Challenges
        > Weakness : Kryptonite
        > Enemy : Lex Luthor
        > Enemy : Ultra Humanite
        >

        > Point Total 58
        > Last modified 5/2/12

      • Fabrício César Franco
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2012
          I like it very much! Any character build is welcome! Kudos!

          Fabrício Franco

          .

          __
        • Gerry
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2012
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2012
              Thanks Fabricio! While I've built characters before (I have 7 in the last Hero Pack, and 2 for the one in progress), it's fun to play around with such an iconic character as Superman. Have to see whom I might want to try next
              I like it very much! Any character build is welcome! Kudos!

              Fabrício Franco

              2012/5/2 jaerdaph <jjbardales@...>

              Nice! I especially like the props paid to Ultra-Humanite.

              jaerdaph

              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Gerry <urbwarzine@...> wrote:

              > It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):
              >

              > Superman
              > Clark Kent/Kal El
              >

              > Prowess 6
              > Coordination 6
              > Strength 8
              > Intellect 5
              > Awareness 6
              > Willpower 6
              >
              > Stamina 14
              > Determination 1
              >
              > Specialties
              > Athletics
              > Wrestling
              >
              > Powers
              > Leaping 4
              > Invulnerability 6
              > Super-Speed 3
              > Transformation 4 (Only particular type of shape) - Facial Re-arrangement
              > Supersenses 2 (Enhanced Hearing, Extended Vision)
              >
              > Qualities
              > Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way
              > Epithet : Last Son of Krypton
              > Connections : Lois Lane
              >
              > Challenges
              > Weakness : Kryptonite
              > Enemy : Lex Luthor
              > Enemy : Ultra Humanite
              >

              > Point Total 58
              > Last modified 5/2/12

            • Joe Littrell
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Gerry <urbwarzine@...> wrote:
                > It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):
                >
                > Qualities
                >  Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way

                It's worth noting that Superman's original never-ending battle was
                just for "truth and justice". The phrase began in 1940 on the
                Adventures of Superman radio show, and had the "American Way" part
                tacked on '42 because we were into the War by that time. It was
                dropped from the opening in '45 following the end of the war, and not
                picked up again until the George Reeves TV show. By that time, we were
                Commie smashin', so it stuck around like the new national Motto and
                the new words in the Pledge of Allegiance.
              • Gerry
                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                  Well I did state I took some liberties with the Aspects/Challenges; Kryptonite didn't appear until 1943 in the radio show, and didn't appear in the comic until 1949. Since it's something most people associate with him (as well as the whole Truth and Justice motivation), I felt it best to include it

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                    Ultra-Humanite really set the standard for all reoccurring supervillain nemeses that followed.

                    Well done on the build. :)

                    jaerdaph

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                      My first exposure to Ultra-Humanite was in All-Star Squadron (one of my all time favorite comic series). Then he was on JLU, and I liked him even more (especially the Christmas episode where he helped Flash with the toys for the kids). He's a cool villain, and should easily be Luthor's equal, if not better (as, from what I've read, he originally had mental powers as well as his scientific prowess)

                      If I knew more about him, I'd consider writing him up as well. Might do some more golden age heroes first

                      And thanks again for the kudos; I just wish the image on the sheet i uploaded looked better. Whenever I print to pdf, it turns out blurry :(