Golden Age Superman

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2012
      I found a wiki article listing his powers. It's interesting to see how much weaker he originally was than he is today. I started the build in the folio, but am having a problem with it. Maybe someone can help me, as the forums for the folio didn't have much info in the faq.

      I'm trying to add in supersenses. He started with two (telescopic vision and enhanced hearing). However, when I try and add 2 options, only one displays after I save them. How do I fix that? It's the main thing preventing me from finishing the build right now....
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2012

        For a long time I’ve wanted to build a character based on the three core Superman traits and only those powers that logically extend from them, without much power creep. We all know what they are – faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap “tall buildings” in “a single bound”. (I don’t know whether those descriptions originated with Max Fleischer or with the radio writers, though). In other games I try to use that as the benchmark for his stats – if locomotives are this strong he has to have this much of the strength attribute to be stronger than one, and so on.

        Icons, of course, has an entirely different focus, so I’m thinking here about what he does as opposed to what his character sheet would look like.

        It follows that someone stronger than a locomotive would be pretty tough. It might not follow that he’s bulletproof. The ability to leap prodigiously doesn’t necessarily lead to being able to survive unprotected in space. None of those three say anything about enhanced normal senses, much less completely new ones.

        The character can’t simply take off and fly. He has to know where he’s going to land and have a clear trajectory of how to get there. If something happens to knock him off-course he has no control of where he ends up.

        He probably doesn’t bounce bullets, but he might well be fast enough to dodge or even catch them, with completely different effects on a situation. He can’t interpose himself between someone and a set of gunmen without any consequences to himself.

        And so on….

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2012
          Is the rank on the super senses 2 or higher? I seem to recall that the folio gives you the rank level in options for super senses. (I'd check but my computer is down today.)

          One way you might go is figuring what powers might develop for a humanoid on a heavy planet. That's where the telescopic vision came from originally--it was because of Krypton's "denser atmosphere." and I think he started off invulnerable to small arms fire (but that might have come later).

          John

          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2012
            >Is the rank on the super senses 2 or higher? I seem to recall that the
            folio gives you the rank level in options for super senses. (I'd check but my computer is down today.)

            Yes, I made it rank 2, which is why I'm confused that only 1 sense is showing

            >One way you might go is figuring what powers might develop for a
            humanoid on a heavy planet. That's where the telescopic vision came from originally--it was because of Krypton's "denser atmosphere." and I think he >started off invulnerable to small arms fire (but that might have come later)

            I found a wiki article that breaks down his powers; There's sections on how he was portrayed in different eras, so his Golden Age power suite is listed (including an early power that was abandoned after a short while).

            Here's what the article stated:

            Superman's original powers mainly consisted of superstrength, superspeed, supersenses, and invulnerability. As described in Action Comics #1 (June 1938): "When maturity was reached, he discovered he could easily: Leap 1/8th of a mile [201 meters]; hurdle a twenty-story building...raise tremendous weights...run faster than a express train... and that nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin!"

            One power introduced during this time was soon discarded, an ability for Superman to reshape his face muscles to change his appearance

            I went with the following powers for him so far:
            Invulnerability 6
            Leaping 4
            Super Speed 3
            Supersenses 2 (Extended vision/Enhanced Hearing)
            Transformation 4 (particular type of shape) for his power to re-arrange his face muscles (might consider lowering that to 2 if people think it's too high)

            I made his stats all 6's, except for an 8 Strength, and an intellect of 5 (the early stories didn't have him be a scientific genius, etc)

            As it stands, he came out to 58 points, which is only 13 points over the point cost method base. So not really overly powerful like the modern version, but for his time, pretty damn tough

            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2012
              Michael,

              Here's a direct link to a breakdown of Superman's powers from the Golden Age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_and_abilities_of_Superman#Golden_Age_Superman

              It's interesting to see the slow progression of power increase, as he wasn't able to resist a nuke until 1947

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                Gerry wrote:
                "I found a wiki article listing his powers. It's interesting to see how much weaker he originally was than he is today. I started the build in the folio, but am having a problem with it. Maybe someone can help me, as the forums for the folio didn't have much info in the faq.

                I'm trying to add in supersenses. He started with two (telescopic vision and enhanced hearing). However, when I try and add 2 options, only one displays after I save them. How do I fix that? It's the main thing preventing me from finishing the build right now...."

                I played around with this a little just now. It's a little buggy, especially if you go back into the power to edit it later. I suggest just deleting the power from your powers list (select the power with the mouse to highlight it and hit delete) and adding it again. Go in to edit, set the power level, hold down the control key to select the option(s) you want from the list. Hit save.

                If you go back in to edit it again, it gets all buggy. Only one selection remains highlighted in the list and if you save again, you lose the others you had selected before. To complicate matters, the control key function to select multiple options stops working too.

                I suggest just deleting the power and adding it back if you need to make changes. Know what you need before you go in, set it and (hopefully) forget it!

                Hope that helps a bit.

                jaerdaph
              • Gerry
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                  It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):

                  Superman
                  Clark Kent/Kal El

                  Prowess 6
                  Coordination 6
                  Strength 8
                  Intellect 5
                  Awareness 6
                  Willpower 6

                  Stamina 14
                  Determination 1

                  Specialties
                  Athletics
                  Wrestling

                  Powers
                  Leaping 4
                  Invulnerability 6
                  Super-Speed 3
                  Transformation 4 (Only particular type of shape) - Facial Re-arrangement
                  Supersenses 2 (Enhanced Hearing, Extended Vision)

                  Qualities
                  Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way
                  Epithet : Last Son of Krypton
                  Connections : Lois Lane

                  Challenges
                  Weakness : Kryptonite
                  Enemy : Lex Luthor
                  Enemy : Ultra Humanite

                  Point Total 58
                  Last modified 5/2/12

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                    Nice! I especially like the props paid to Ultra-Humanite.

                    jaerdaph

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Gerry <urbwarzine@...> wrote:

                    > It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):
                    >

                    > Superman
                    > Clark Kent/Kal El
                    >

                    > Prowess 6
                    > Coordination 6
                    > Strength 8
                    > Intellect 5
                    > Awareness 6
                    > Willpower 6
                    >
                    > Stamina 14
                    > Determination 1
                    >
                    > Specialties
                    > Athletics
                    > Wrestling
                    >
                    > Powers
                    > Leaping 4
                    > Invulnerability 6
                    > Super-Speed 3
                    > Transformation 4 (Only particular type of shape) - Facial Re-arrangement
                    > Supersenses 2 (Enhanced Hearing, Extended Vision)
                    >
                    > Qualities
                    > Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way
                    > Epithet : Last Son of Krypton
                    > Connections : Lois Lane
                    >
                    > Challenges
                    > Weakness : Kryptonite
                    > Enemy : Lex Luthor
                    > Enemy : Ultra Humanite
                    >

                    > Point Total 58
                    > Last modified 5/2/12

                  • Fabrício César Franco
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                      I like it very much! Any character build is welcome! Kudos!

                      Fabrício Franco

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                          Thanks Fabricio! While I've built characters before (I have 7 in the last Hero Pack, and 2 for the one in progress), it's fun to play around with such an iconic character as Superman. Have to see whom I might want to try next
                          I like it very much! Any character build is welcome! Kudos!

                          Fabrício Franco

                          2012/5/2 jaerdaph <jjbardales@...>

                          Nice! I especially like the props paid to Ultra-Humanite.

                          jaerdaph

                          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Gerry <urbwarzine@...> wrote:

                          > It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):
                          >

                          > Superman
                          > Clark Kent/Kal El
                          >

                          > Prowess 6
                          > Coordination 6
                          > Strength 8
                          > Intellect 5
                          > Awareness 6
                          > Willpower 6
                          >
                          > Stamina 14
                          > Determination 1
                          >
                          > Specialties
                          > Athletics
                          > Wrestling
                          >
                          > Powers
                          > Leaping 4
                          > Invulnerability 6
                          > Super-Speed 3
                          > Transformation 4 (Only particular type of shape) - Facial Re-arrangement
                          > Supersenses 2 (Enhanced Hearing, Extended Vision)
                          >
                          > Qualities
                          > Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way
                          > Epithet : Last Son of Krypton
                          > Connections : Lois Lane
                          >
                          > Challenges
                          > Weakness : Kryptonite
                          > Enemy : Lex Luthor
                          > Enemy : Ultra Humanite
                          >

                          > Point Total 58
                          > Last modified 5/2/12

                        • Joe Littrell
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                            On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Gerry <urbwarzine@...> wrote:
                            > It did! I got the file fixed, so I made 2 pdf copies, each with different art I found on the Superbuddies forums way back. 1 has his original costume from Action Comics #1, and the other his regular Golden Age costume. Will upload the pdf files a little later, but here is the text for what I came up with. Let me know what everyone thinks (though keep in mind, this is his original, early power set, and not what the modern version can do):
                            >
                            > Qualities
                            >  Motivation : Truth, Justice & The American Way

                            It's worth noting that Superman's original never-ending battle was
                            just for "truth and justice". The phrase began in 1940 on the
                            Adventures of Superman radio show, and had the "American Way" part
                            tacked on '42 because we were into the War by that time. It was
                            dropped from the opening in '45 following the end of the war, and not
                            picked up again until the George Reeves TV show. By that time, we were
                            Commie smashin', so it stuck around like the new national Motto and
                            the new words in the Pledge of Allegiance.
                          • Gerry
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                              Well I did state I took some liberties with the Aspects/Challenges; Kryptonite didn't appear until 1943 in the radio show, and didn't appear in the comic until 1949. Since it's something most people associate with him (as well as the whole Truth and Justice motivation), I felt it best to include it

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                                Ultra-Humanite really set the standard for all reoccurring supervillain nemeses that followed.

                                Well done on the build. :)

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                                  My first exposure to Ultra-Humanite was in All-Star Squadron (one of my all time favorite comic series). Then he was on JLU, and I liked him even more (especially the Christmas episode where he helped Flash with the toys for the kids). He's a cool villain, and should easily be Luthor's equal, if not better (as, from what I've read, he originally had mental powers as well as his scientific prowess)

                                  If I knew more about him, I'd consider writing him up as well. Might do some more golden age heroes first

                                  And thanks again for the kudos; I just wish the image on the sheet i uploaded looked better. Whenever I print to pdf, it turns out blurry :(